Damian
New Member!
Newcastle, UK
Damian is male 

30-11-2017, 01:07 PM

Re: Turned 50 and started falling apart!😨

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hi.
I've been in generally good to excellent health for most of my life, give or take the odd bout of flu and a few minor injuries. Slight backache, eyesight fading, tinnitus, etc.

Since I turned 50 I've started to get various ailments and niggles. My knees have arthritis, my lower back is continually sore and I seem to be coughing all the time. Basically I feel pretty crap most days.

I have kept myself fit and healthy all my life, visiting the gym for the past 30+ years, plus being a keen cyclist and runner in my teens to thirties. I walk miles each night at work and my diet is pretty good. I have never smoked and only drink socially once a week. My fitness levels are suffering due to not being able to exercise in the way I used to because of my new health issues and it's getting me down. I'll be making a doctors appointment soon as I can get one.

Did anyone else here experience a sudden slump in their fitness or health when they turned 50?
Hi,
Try a good chiropractic for your back (most will give a free scan/assessment). It may be that your back needs to be realigned (messages to all organs of the body flow from your brain via the spine and if these nerves are nipped/constrained the organs don't function as they should). All my family, incl kids from 2mths old have benefitted from this.
Get the cough checked by the doctor and don't be fobbed off.
The modern diet (sugars, preservatives, etc) can create alot of inflammation in your body. Google this subject and look at what you should reduce which cause acid/inflammation and what are good alkaline foods.
Don't give up the exercise, incl resistance training, this is known to improve bone density and your muscles support the joints (after my knee op the big emphasis was on building the support muscles to take pressure off the joints. Just don't overload, go for tone and not just (think of body weight exercises that are more natural for your body shape/size).
Hope this helps, & good luck
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 01:08 PM

I expect to be 87 years old at the beginning of next April. I too have been forced to accept that as time goes by I can do fewer things. Driving at night and indeed driving long distance is now off the agenda. I used to swim 50 minutes every morning and unfortunately that is now out for an embarrassing reason. Walking upstairs is a challenge but I do it. And more things I won’t bother to enumerate.

But we keep going – after all what is the alternative?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Damian ->
Hi,
Try a good chiropractic for your back (most will give a free scan/assessment). It may be that your back needs to be realigned (messages to all organs of the body flow from your brain via the spine and if these nerves are nipped/constrained the organs don't function as they should). All my family, incl kids from 2mths old have benefitted from this.
Get the cough checked by the doctor and don't be fobbed off.
The modern diet (sugars, preservatives, etc) can create alot of inflammation in your body. Google this subject and look at what you should reduce which cause acid/inflammation and what are good alkaline foods.
Don't give up the exercise, incl resistance training, this is known to improve bone density and your muscles support the joints (after my knee op the big emphasis was on building the support muscles to take pressure off the joints. Just don't overload, go for tone and not just (think of body weight exercises that are more natural for your body shape/size).
Hope this helps, & good luck

Wow. You're lucky Damian. Never heard of Chiropractor doing their own scanning.
Most here would send you to a hospital because it needs to go on your medical records.
Imagine if a problem was discovered and your doctor knew nothing about it.

My McTimonay lady hasn't even got a scanner, but if she was worried she would tell me to ask the doctor to refer me for a hospital scan.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Mine got bigger!!
I don't believe you.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am not qualified to say foxy, but have a read of this and see what you think.
I can't find the exact site I found the info on before, but this one says much the same.

There is quite a bit of info if you google about Turmeric.

http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/al...-with-turmeric
Thanks for that Mups, I see there might be a problem with Aspirin. Next time I see my Doctor I'll give him the 'Heads Up'......
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:34 PM

One or two people have mentioned swimming regularly.
I'd love to do this but parking is a nightmare...
And who was it posted about swimming 40 lengths every day...do they have their own pool I wonder?
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Just hang on to the edge of the pool.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks for that Mups, I see there might be a problem with Aspirin. Next time I see my Doctor I'll give him the 'Heads Up'......

Might be safer to check Foxy, just incase.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Just be careful of your Doctors advice Floydy, they treat everyone the same, he won't appreciate fully that your life has been spent keeping fit, so his advice will always be to slow down and be sensible (from a layman's point of view)... I visited the doctor with an aching back when I was forty years old, he suggested that I didn't run as far or as fast and accept the deterioration that age produces. Since then, I broke all of my personal bests on Marathons and long fell runs, including running 110 miles in two days on the Cleveland Way.

If I'd listened to him I wouldn't be half the runner I turned out to be.....I did find one doctor who himself was a marathon runner and offered me very good advice, so shop around and find a sympathetic doctor Floydy, there are some out there....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
One or two people have mentioned swimming regularly.
And who was it posted about swimming 40 lengths every day...do they have their own pool I wonder?
That would be me, and no I don't have my own pool I use the local one..

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top