Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 10:23 PM

Re: Pete's Gone Lame

[QUOTE=AudreyII;436618]Oh for sure not... He is going to the vet. If that is the problem, I will watch him and if it happens again, I may try it. Pete if almost 5 years old.. If it is a luxated patella, I'm surprised it just happened now.[/QUOTE]

So am I Audrey. I always thought that was more likely to be a problem is some small dogs like Yorkies or sometimes Westies, and as you say, I would have thought it would have been apparent a long time before now.
Maybe its just something simple like a thorn or something between his pads, or a painful split claw even?
It reminds me of one mine last summer. She came in from the garden, hopping and yelling and wouldn't put one back paw to the ground. I could see and feel nothing unusual at all. In the end she grudgingly went to bed but didn't look too happy. Next day she was putting her foot down but not taking all her weight on it, but it improved more and more. After a few days I saw what I thought was a small bit of stone wedged between her toes and went to flick it out. Then when the damn thing came off I saw it was a great big, fat, bloated tick!! Just something else to perhaps ponder Audrey.
Hope Pete's on the mend soon anyway.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 12:11 PM

We will soon find out. Hubby is taking him to vet this morning.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 12:29 PM

Good luck hope it's something small and easy to cure.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 12:50 PM

I think the vet is the best option. We have huskies and they play extremely roughly and are always picking up the odd injury. One of my boys Rion spent all day yesterday limping on his left back leg so I booked up a vet's appointment. This morning, however, he's running around with no limp and no sign of pain so I cancelled the appointment. It's always better to be safe than sorry!
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 02:14 PM

I was hoping this would be a one day mystery like with Rion MickB.... but sadly, he's shown no improvement. He is due for his shots and heartworm test too... so if nothing else, that will be done. I also want the vet to take a look at his seizure records. We keep meticulous records of each seizure.. date, length, description..etc..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 03:13 PM

Good luck Audrey, and let us know how he gets on won't you. It's very interesting.
AudreyII
USA

04-04-2014, 04:14 PM

Hubby just called. The vet THINKS it's a torn ACL... not what I wanted to hear.. He is going to try conservative measures first.. Anti-inflamatories and rest.. before referring us to an orthopedic vet for surgery. Pete also has to shed about 20 pounds. We are starting him on the frozen green bean diet. Half his food ration and half beans. The vet approves this trick. This is a new vet for us and it's the first time he's seen Pete. He agrees with our old vet.. No medication for his seizures since he only has them once every three or four months.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 04:26 PM

Oh that's not so good but losing weight may help, have you tried carrots as treats our love them and keeps their weight down nicely also cleans their teeth too.
AudreyII
USA

04-04-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Oh that's not so good but losing weight may help, have you tried carrots as treats our love them and keeps their weight down nicely also cleans their teeth too.

I will try that..
AudreyII
USA

04-04-2014, 05:26 PM

http://tiggerpoz.com/

Interesting article about torn knee ligaments in dogs and why to not rush into surgery.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top