Join for free
Page 16 of 27 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:10 PM

Re: Pies, pies and more pies

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
IMHO, I think Bakerman is an asset to this forum and I have watched how some people try to discourage him at every corner, running down the Americans, etc etc etc.

Bakerman, it is hard (VERY HARD) to get accepted on OFF, you have to fight your way through the mobs day after day, before they finally accept you....hang in there, it gets easier after a while....
I think it is remarkable that Bakerman and Surfermom have stayed so long, no other Americans have lasted so long and survived the innate British xenophobia. They deserve our plaudits.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:17 PM

Keep on baking Bakerman, I am grabbing your recipes right and left....

I live near Toronto, Canada and up here, we don't get much home made cooking and baking as we are always running to catch another bus and making the almighty dollar stretch to buy the next diamond ring....
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think it is remarkable that Bakerman and Surfermom have stayed so long, no other Americans have lasted so long and survived the innate British xenophobia. They deserve our plaudits.
I do have to say it's the same on any mainly Brit forum where a few lone Americans join.
Not the xenophobia as you claim .. but there does seem to be an innate disability to not cross swords. Usually starting or ending with ...WW2.
Don't know why actually ... the Aussies always luv us. You luv us don't you Bruce. You get the British humour. It helps.

Go on a predodminantly American forum though with an adhoc mix of Europeans, Brits, Eskimos and aliens and they come over as more comfortable, safety in numbers instead of feeling an outsider I guess .. and instead argue amongst themselves as naturally as we all do here. Possibly because issues of patriotism are not a problem.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:21 PM

Keep on baking Bakerman, I am grabbing your recipes right and left....

I live near Toronto, Canada and up here, we don't get much home made cooking and baking as we are always running to catch another bus and making the almighty dollar stretch to buy the next diamond ring....
Blue ... I don't think Bakerman is posting his recipes on the main site now. He's doing his recipes in the self-moderation section where's he's build himself a redoubt.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:43 PM

Bakerman,

When my son was home and I was working, I would sometimes have to make a quick pie and didn't have any crust in the freezer. There was a "quicky" I made in a hurry.

I put all the ingredients in a bowl, mixed it all up together, put it in the pie plate and baked it. Came out a great little custard pie with a crust on the bottom and a delicious custard.

I know it wasn't the best pie in the world, but it worked for my son and his friends in a pinch.

Have you ever heard of this? And if so, would you mind giving me the recipe?
Blueberry, It might be any number of things. No way to tell with out the ingredient list. To me, however, when someone says "custard" I think of an egg custard.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

21-08-2018, 02:45 PM

Egg custard is a classic everywhere ... especially with a little nutmeg.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Blueberry, It might be any number of things. No way to tell with out the ingredient list. To me, however, when someone says "custard" I think of an egg custard.
Yes, it does turn out as an egg custard, but I am not explaining myself properly. I don't make a CRUST. Just put all the ingredients in a bowl, and a crust forms somehow...with a custard filling. I didn't do anything other than put everything in one bowl.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

21-08-2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Blue ... I don't think Bakerman is posting his recipes on the main site now. He's doing his recipes in the self-moderation section where's he's build himself a redoubt.
Ok , thanks Morty
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Linda, It is quite difficult to discus various food items when so many insist that the British way of speaking and naming items is the one, and only way, and that Americans are little more than backward children who need the school master's stick to get us back in line. I have never understood that kind of arrogance.

I even had one poster who said that America had to be taught how to cook by Gordon Ramsey and without his guidance we would still be cooking over an open fire like cave dwelling savages.
I just think it's silly to argue about who's right and who's wrong. Because who cares? Different foods are called different things in different places all over the world. Nobody is right or wrong. Period.

I love Gordon Ramsay.

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Gordon Ramsey is a foul mouthed yob whose ego greatly exceeds his talent.
Yeah, but it's fun to watch him rip into people

Well, unless they don't really deserve it. And not all of them do. Of course, however, the only Gordon Ramsay show I watch is Kitchen Nightmares. I can't handle his cooking shows. That's too much, even for me.
John leave
Hertfordshire
John leave is male  John leave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:25 PM

Ingredients
225g/8oz plain flour
pinch of salt
80g/3oz lard
80g/3oz butter
Method
Mix the flour with the salt and rub in half of the lard. Add enough cold water to bring the flour to a soft dough.

Mix together the rest of the lard and the butter.

Roll out the dough to make a rectangle 12.5 x 25cm/5 x 10in.

Dot one third of the butter/lard mixture over two-thirds of the rectangle. Fold the third without any fat on it over the middle third of the pastry. Bring the other third on top. Seal the edges with a rolling pin and turn the dough 90 degrees. Chill for 10 minutes.

Repeat stage 4 with half of the rest of the fat and then repeat one more time with the remaining fat. Chill for 10 minutes after each folding.

Roll and fold one more time without any fat and then chill for 30 minutes.
This is how we make flaky pastry no vinegar.

Page 16 of 27 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top