Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 01:04 PM

Podiatrists

Does anyone here have Podiatry help?
Well if so, you'll be lucky if you can still get it in future.

My feel are quite healthy in most ways, but the problem I have is they 'roll inwards' so without my Orthotics to correct this, I am walking on the inside edge of my foot and it is painful.
I just sent in a request form to the NHS about a new appointment and received a letter back saying my problem "does not fall within the criteria for local NHS care".
I have just phoned them and enquired as to what's going on, and told them I have been receiving care for several years with them, and the lady replied that they have had to cut so much money, including laying half of their Podiatrists off. She then suggested I ring Age UK for advice!

So beware, all you folks that need help with their feet.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 01:07 PM

Re: Podiatrists

I have been paying for my podiatrist help for nearly 10 years, if you have problems before retirement that has as far as I could find out always been the way.

My husband had his ingrown nail removed on NHS but all treatment leading to it and after was paid for by us too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have been paying for my podiatrist help for nearly 10 years, if you have problems before retirement that has as far as I could find out always been the way.

My husband had his ingrown nail removed on NHS but all treatment leading to it and after was paid for by us too.

Don't know Julie, as my probs only started after I retired.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Does anyone here have Podiatry help?
Well if so, you'll be lucky if you can still get it in future.

So beware, all you folks that need help with their feet.
Podiatry services are good in our county and no problem with cutbacks as yet.

Last summer I had an ingrowing toenail removed, my doctor referred me to a podiatrist and I received the appointment two weeks later, at the appointment the date was made for the procedure to be done, one week from then.

I can't fault the Podiatry service in my county, but I appreciate that services do differ.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 06:10 PM

As a T2 diabetic, i was supposed to have the services of a Podiatry practitioner. I found this out after quite a few years, when the diabetic nurse queried the lack of any information. So an appointment was made, and i duly attended. It was almost comical, which ended with a tiny sliver of hard skin being cut off. A complete waste of everyones time and money.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-02-2014, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Podiatry services are good in our county and no problem with cutbacks as yet.

Last summer I had an ingrowing toenail removed, my doctor referred me to a podiatrist and I received the appointment two weeks later, at the appointment the date was made for the procedure to be done, one week from then.

I can't fault the Podiatry service in my county, but I appreciate that services do differ.

You are lucky Pats, I wish it was still the same here.
I reckon the nice chap I saw last time knew something was in the wind because when I asked him about replacement orthotics he said - " Just ring up and make an appointment - if we're still here".
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2014, 05:47 PM

I attend a podiatry clinic to have my toe nails trimmed. Have been going there for more than ten years and so far haven't been told that the service is no longer available. In fact, the podiatry servicew is carried out inside a doctor's practice.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-02-2014, 11:37 PM

I wasn't aware till this occurred that Podiatry is the "new name" for Chiropody apparently. The name changed in 1993. The letter they sent me explains 'Podiatry' refers to just feet, while 'chiropody' refers to both feet and hands. Never knew that!
Also, would you believe, "there is no requirement for a Podiatrist to declare their training level, it is up to the patient to ask. If there is any show of protest at this or if they will only insist they are 'Fully Qualified' but won't be specific, it could well mean they are not".
A Foot Health Practitioner is a title not protected in law which effectively means anyone can use it regardless of training levels. Courses are now available that offer a total of only 11 days practical tuition, after which students will call themselves "Fully trained and qualified Foot Health Practitioners". Their course is not to be confused with the 3 years of full time training needed to become a Podiatrist.
Never knew that either!
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2014, 05:05 PM

I have a friend who is a podiatrist in Lincolnshire, and she tells me that as colleagues have left or retired, they are not being replaced. It seems to me that the service will go the same way as dentistry - private or NHS, there will be a fee to pay. Could be wrong of course - so far I haven't needed any treatment. I do my own foot 'servicing' much to the amusement of my friend!
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2014, 05:25 PM

My Daughter has a friend who is a podiatrist and she trims my nails on a regular basis and does it for free.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top