Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Re: I was there

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Yes, Foxy, l remember the eerie, complete silence as it went darker and darker and then it seemed to take ages to brighten up again!
I think Cornwall was supposed to be the best place to be, to see the eclipse?
The banks of Windermere weren't a bad place to be Arty, but I know what you mean. It was still total darkness and eerie, I can imagine what the people were thinking when it happened in Biblical times. They must have been terribly frightened...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The banks of Windermere weren't a bad place to be Arty, but I know what you mean. It was still total darkness and eerie, I can imagine what the people were thinking when it happened in Biblical times. They must have been terribly frightened...
Foxy, lt seemed like the end of the world.... but with a reprieve!!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I reckon that it was an eclipse that made the Egyptian king worship the moon instead of the sun...hence his change of name from Tutankhamen (sun) to Tutankhamun (moon)
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 01:51 PM

I think Cornwall was supposed to be the best place to be, to see the eclipse?
Indeed it was :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2494687.stm

1999: Millions marvel at total eclipse

Up to 350 million people in Europe and Asia have witnessed the last total solar eclipse of the century.

The phenomenon began over the Atlantic, a few hundred miles east of Boston, North America.

The only part of mainland Britain to witness totality - the full blacking out of the sun by the moon - was Cornwall in south-west England.
Cloudy skies mean spectators there were unable to see the full effect, but the spectacle was still dramatic.

The temperature dropped and darkness fell in Falmouth at 1111 BST (1011 GMT).

TV astronomer Patrick Moore, watching in Falmouth, described it as a "strange, weird experience".
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 01:58 PM

The birth of my first son.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 02:20 PM

I was there, April 2nd, 1957...when Elvis performed 1 of 2 shows @ Maple Leaf Gardens, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. My girlfriend turned 15 that day and I turned 16, two days later...our tickets were a gift from our parents... Seats 1 & 2, second row Blues...with no one in front of us!

He went on to do another concert the next day in Ottawa, Ontario.

Then on August 31st, of that same year he and his entourage along with The Jordanaires, took the train to Vancouver, British Columbia, from Spokane, Washington...for a concert @ Emipre Stadium...

So, in all of Elvis' career he only performed 4 times in Canada...and I am so pleased to say "I was there."
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 04:26 PM

I also, loved standing on a cliff in Cornwall at around 11am on 11th August 1999 with a glass of pink champagne in my hand, celebrating the total solar eclipse.
It was a unforgettable experience!
I remember that too. We had climbed up a large hill in North Wales . We could see for miles and all the sheep and cows lay down , the birds stopped tweeting and everything went quiet. Very eerie experience.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 04:57 PM

I also, loved standing on a cliff in Cornwall at around 11am on 11th August 1999 with a glass of pink champagne in my hand, celebrating the total solar eclipse.
It was a unforgettable experience!
To me it was a total let down. Far to cloudy to see anything. I was in my garden & although it got dark, that was it. I felt cheated of the chance in a lifetime.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I remember that too. We had climbed up a large hill in North Wales . We could see for miles and all the sheep and cows lay down , the birds stopped tweeting and everything went quiet. Very eerie experience.
This is getting weird now...i was there too Puddle!

Oh could have been a different hill!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I reckon that it was an eclipse that made the Egyptian king worship the moon instead of the sun...hence his change of name from Tutankhamen (sun) to Tutankhamun (moon)
Thanks Rhian, I didn't know that.....
By gum lass....the things you learn on t' forum.....

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top