Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 07:44 PM

Re: Probate

My daughter looked it up online a reckoned she could do it when the time comes.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 07:53 PM

I'm really thick where this thing called probate is concerned . Surely if there is a will made specifying who gets what then why can't the executor just sort it ?

For instance my will was drawn up by a solicitor , my two kids are executors and split everything 50/50 so why should they have to pay to sort it , surely the will says it all .?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 08:04 PM

That's what I thought Sue,

But,
Probate is the legal[1] process whereby a will is "proved" in a court and accepted as a valid public document that is the true last testament of the deceased.

The granting of probate is the first step in the legal process of administering the estate of a deceased person, resolving all claims and distributing the deceased person's property under a will. A probate court decides the legal validity of a testator's (deceased person's) will and grants its approval, also known as granting probate, to the executor. The probated will then becomes a legal instrument that may be enforced by the executor in the law courts if necessary. A probate also officially appoints the executor (or personal representative), generally named in the will, as having legal power to dispose of the testator's assets in the manner specified in the testator's will. However, through the probate process, a will may be contested.[2]
From Wiiki
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I'm really thick where this thing called probate is concerned . Surely if there is a will made specifying who gets what then why can't the executor just sort it ?

For instance my will was drawn up by a solicitor , my two kids are executors and split everything 50/50 so why should they have to pay to sort it , surely the will says it all .?
Money from Banks ,Shares and also Deeds of Property will not be handed over without Probate.

If it was things of little value ,this would not be a problem ,

Probate is an official document which the law up holds ..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Solicitors can be very expensive, but very simple.

Have you asked your daughter what she would prefer?

Yes I agree, this might be the best idea Rehab. She might say she would be quite happy to sort it out, or perhaps she may prefer a solicitor to deal with it. Best to ask her I think.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 09:25 PM

Thankyou rehab and Eliza .

In my head I just assumed my two kids could take the will to my bank and also the will as evidence of my death and transfer of house ownership.

Crikey , dying ain't easy

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 09:47 PM

If a house is involved you may need to look at tax needing to be paid, solicitor knows ins and outs of all that. We had capital gains to pay without the solicitor the first we would have known would have been a big bill arriving.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Thankyou rehab and Eliza .

In my head I just assumed my two kids could take the will to my bank and also the will as evidence of my death and transfer of house ownership.

Crikey , dying ain't easy

Or cheap
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

22-01-2017, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes I agree, this might be the best idea Rehab. She might say she would be quite happy to sort it out, or perhaps she may prefer a solicitor to deal with it. Best to ask her I think.
I will take your advice on that and run it by her.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 11:50 PM

Rehab
If your will is straight forward ie all going to your daughter it's not hard at all.
When completed you just have to swear that the will is true .
You just get several copies of the Death certificate and send it to the various places .
If your daughter sells the house she will only have to pay capital gains tax on the amount it has gained since the day she inherited it.
She will also have a CGT allowance of £11100.
She will have to pay inheritance tax if your estate is over £325k it is charged at 40% over this amount.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top