Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 10:47 PM

Re: Trainspotting

Originally Posted by Norway ->
Not into engine types, just Train travel especially sleeper trains. I have been on quite a few in Europe and here in Norway,

https://www.sleeper.scot/
That's OK. I asked the same question at the National Railway Museum last year. Even they didn't know!
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 06:07 PM

The Peak class was a heavy engine so to spread the weight it had an extra set of unpowered smaller wheels front and back otherwise it would have exceeded the weight limit on some routes and wouldn't have been able to operate there.

The Deltic was lighter and didn't need the extra un-driven sets of wheels, even though it was more powerful.

Anyway, they are all superb pics.

*My name is Fruitcake and I was a train spotter.*
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->

*My name is Fruitcake and I was a train spotter.*
Nothing to be ashamed of
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The Deltic looks to have a similar cab and outside design.

Looking at your larger picture now, I can see that the front extension looks much smaller than the Deltic.

Talking of which, I have often wondered why the contents of that extension were not incorporated into the midsection of the locomotive, even though that may have entailed a slight increase in length. That would have given the driver a better view to the front.
The toilet and washing facilities are in the Deltic's nose.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 10:27 PM

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 10:18 AM

I drove this shunter at the Yorkshire museum. Driver for a fiver it was called, and just about covered the cost of the fuel for the half mile journey.

It's powerplant.

A view from the cab whilst my Uncle/FiL was driving.

Another shunter at the same place.

Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 08:02 PM

A step up from "Shunter" is one of my faves - the Class 14. Only 26 of these were built and they did do a fair bit of shunting duty as well as short freight trips.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top