Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 12:34 PM

Re: I was there

When I was born
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You must have got married the same year as Mrs Fox and me Mags....1972..?

We've had our "up's and Down's" over the years but we'd be nothing without each other.....
Jan 1973, Bob
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
We were right bang in the middle of it! Car horns blaring, people shouting, drunks singing, staggering and falling over... Yes, it was fun....l think?!!
How absolutely ghastly!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
How absolutely ghastly!
It was Football history! Tara.
It probably won’t ever happen ever again.... that was an understatement!!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 12:42 PM

It was Football history! Tara.
It probably won’t ever happen ever again.... that was an understatement!!
Hopefully not.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
He was at some of the same protests I was contrary to your perception there's a lot of laughter at protests a lot of good friendships born.
And you achieved what? Did you succeed? All those lofty ideals are now what? Yesterday’s news.

"To laugh often and much,
to win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children,
to earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends,
to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others,
to leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded!"
... Ralph Waldo Emerson

tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

25-02-2018, 12:58 PM

I was in labour with our first daughter on the night of the general election in 1970. My husband was sitting in the maternity home sittingroom watching the results as they came in on the TV. The nurse asked him if he had any message for his wife, "Tell her George Brown is out at Belper!"

About an hour before our girl put in an appearance the following afternoon, which was also my husband's birthday, the staff asked him to sit with me as they were quite busy. At 4.30pm she decided to keep me waiting no longer, and when I asked my husband the inevitable question, there was a long silence and then he said, "I think its a girl". I still tease him about that to this day.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 01:03 PM

I also, loved standing on a cliff in Cornwall at around 11am on 11th August 1999 with a glass of pink champagne in my hand, celebrating the total solar eclipse.
It was a unforgettable experience!
I remember it like it was yesterday Arty. A friend from work and myself were cycling the 'coast to coast' from Whitehaven to Robin Hoods Bay. We had just set off from Ambleside on the second day and just had to stop and watch the fantastic spectacle. There were lots of people gathered but you could hear a pin drop.......Very mystical...

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 01:22 PM

We were right bang in the middle of it! Car horns blaring, people shouting, drunks singing, staggering and falling over... Yes, it was fun....l think?!!
We had 20,000 people in Earlson, mainly because it's not far from the railway station - the police closed all the main roads .....

I'm guessing there'd be even more in the city centre .....

A taste of the day (from the internet):

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I remember it like it was yesterday Arty. A friend from work and myself were cycling the 'coast to coast' from Whitehaven to Robin Hoods Bay. We had just set off from Ambleside on the second day and just had to stop and watch the fantastic spectacle. There were lots of people gathered but you could hear a pin drop.......Very mystical...

Yes, Foxy, l remember the eerie, complete silence as it went darker and darker and then it seemed to take ages to brighten up again!
I think Cornwall was supposed to be the best place to be, to see the eclipse?

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top