Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2013, 09:42 AM

Re: star gazing

Exactly ! So many things are like this these days ...
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2013, 09:48 AM

I want to get into astrophotography and looking for a decent telescope, mount and lenses. Of course a lot of this can quickly become silly money, but its always something I wanted to do.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2013, 10:39 AM

Hi Graham
Have a look at the skywatcher 200P with the EQ5 mount ...it is the one I have ...I done a lot of research before buying it and also asked the 'experts' at our local club oasi http://www.oasi.org.uk/ It was also endorsed by sir Patrick himself ..It comes with a camera adapter the mount is heavy duty to take a camera...you can pick up a set of decent eyepieces as well for it ..the scope retails at about £480 but if you look around you can get one cheaper ..Mine was £405 delivered you may need to add a motor drive for serious photography but you can purchase those separate or get it supplied with a different EQ mount it comes with 2 eyepieces but I got a set for £74 that was 4 super plosyl's and 4 filters in a nice aluminium case...If you want details i can send you the details of where i got mine ..the service i got was excellent and i can recommend him ( I was probably just unlucky with the minor fault on mine) I will warn you it is a big beast so you could always consider a 150mm (6'') but the 200 would probably be better for photography...once you have the gear the outlay is minimal ..all you need is a few cloud free nights
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
Hi Graham
Have a look at the skywatcher 200P with the EQ5 mount ...it is the one I have ...I done a lot of research before buying it and also asked the 'experts' at our local club oasi http://www.oasi.org.uk/ It was also endorsed by sir Patrick himself ..It comes with a camera adapter the mount is heavy duty to take a camera...you can pick up a set of decent eyepieces as well for it ..the scope retails at about £480 but if you look around you can get one cheaper ..Mine was £405 delivered you may need to add a motor drive for serious photography but you can purchase those separate or get it supplied with a different EQ mount it comes with 2 eyepieces but I got a set for £74 that was 4 super plosyl's and 4 filters in a nice aluminium case...If you want details i can send you the details of where i got mine ..the service i got was excellent and i can recommend him ( I was probably just unlucky with the minor fault on mine) I will warn you it is a big beast so you could always consider a 150mm (6'') but the 200 would probably be better for photography...once you have the gear the outlay is minimal ..all you need is a few cloud free nights
Many thanks for that. I have started researching scopes and whatnots and I have seen this one advertised. I do need a good camera first and foremost before I go for a scope which may happen in the next few weeks or so. I would like to eventually go to an astronomical night meeting and see what others are doing.

ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2013, 11:42 AM

The place I got mine from does cameras as well ....this is the address if any help..I found him on line and he was the most reasonable as well,and fortunately he is only about 35 miles from me, so quite local ....

http://www.philburtonphotography.co.uk/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2013, 12:53 PM

This is my telescope, it is getting a bit old now but it still takes quite good photos even on cloudy days

Some of the pictures it takes are really pretty, even better, it was free!

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2013, 01:00 PM

Steve - Products I am unsure of - I purchase from QVC...
Today they had a Celestron 127 EQ 250 + magnification at £139 + p&p
Saturn was easily viewable and you could take photos. Item No 503 612
As a customer I can vouch for their superb service. You have a 30 day money back guarantee. With a large item like this, they collect 'free' if you wish to return. Returns are amazing, as you can use the product, if you dont 'like' you can return....Regardless of what the product is !
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

11-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Yo Pat ...well done, I have still to see Saturn though mine as my old one broke and i haven't used my new one yet as it is still in the box. ...Celestron are very good scopes,the 127 is a very good starter scope especially for the casual observer and are very good value ...The one I got is more advanced with options to add to if i really want to get more involved ..the main difference is the size of the Mirror, yours is 5'' mine is 8'' and in this case size DOES matter, lol. it means you get more light collection prob 40% more in my case so you can get clearer photos especially on deep space objects galaxies etc ..my other scope was of a similar spec to yours although cheaper ..but i soon saw that i wanted something better.. so thanks to my family helping me out for my birthday cos my cheap one broke i got something better. mine has a potential of magnification 400x but you will rarely need more than 150x....

Happy watching ...perhaps is we get some pictures we could post them between us ....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-05-2013, 03:32 PM

Ah Steve - Sorry if my post mislead you... I was letting you know about QVC for your future reference. No, I wish I had a telescope but I live in a flat, no garden.... Hope you get your one sorted .... Pats
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

11-05-2013, 03:58 PM

QVC ...i haven't shopped with them for ages I find most of what i want on Amazon or other sites ...I dont even know if my membership is still active ...lol...my father in law has shares in them ...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top