Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2013, 08:51 AM

New tales from a retired shop keeper.

TROUBLE in TORQUAY

“Let them eat cake”, Marie Antoinette may or may not have said it, but down the centuries the attitude of the well off towards the poor, has been one of derision. “Little people pay taxes” Protested Imelda Marcos, she of the 2,000 pairs of shoes.

Many years ago I promoted a bright . 21 year old to assistant manager of our branch in Torquay. He had been transferred in to my area to get him away from one of the other area managers particularly RT an executive of the bad old “Hire & fire ‘em “ brigade

The lad was tanned , had blonde hair , and was possessed
Of an easy smile & engaging personality. I soon had reason to believe he had been handed to me for other reasons.

He was also aware of his effect on women, and practically drooled when near one, any woman 16-90, no worries.
Completely selfish & indifferent he could easily be Dorian Gray, courtesy of Oscar Wilde.

He once told me he wanted to be a manager & that RT was his hero, going around and sacking people, mercifully he soon left. Torquay is bulging with rich old women. He had found Shangri-La.
I have no doubt that he bonked his self into an early grave.

NO, that’s a bit unkind, his mother must have loved him.

Speaking of mothers, a few years back we used to regularly take my mother, aged 86, out for lunch. One time she was very depressed, she was in the early stages & in constant pain from a crumbling spine.
“86 is quite old enough for me to live, I’ve had enough”

“Live for me mum, live for my sake, I’ve become used to you now”
She gave me a hug, looked right into my eyes & said
Oh alright then Robert, just for you”
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Re: New tales from a retired shop keeper.

That last little bit was quite touching Robert.........good for you and your mum.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Hello Robert .......
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2013, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Hello Robert .......
Hello PAtsCG
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

02-07-2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
That last little bit was quite touching Robert.........good for you and your mum.
THank you Alan.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Hello PAtsCG
Robert ..... There used to be a 'corner shop' where I lived as a child. My Dad would tell me to get his 20 weights cigs and I would say to Dickie Williams, shopkeeeper, and I'll have that bar of chocolate - put it on the slate....He would say, did your Dad say to get it on the slate and me with a grin would say..... 'course he did !
A couple of days later, I got a right earful from Dad
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2013, 01:04 PM

Good story Robert

What a lovely reply to your comment by your Mum
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2013, 06:42 PM

Yet another great tale there Robert, again could be out of a TV series. Torquay conjures up memories of my favourite character Basil Fawlty in the infamous series. If they made a TV series about your stories you have posted on this forum what actor would you chose to play your role in the series?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

02-07-2013, 06:50 PM

Thats a great question .... look forward to the answer Robert ....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

02-07-2013, 07:45 PM

Terry Thomas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top