Join for free
Page 397 of 1676 « First < 297 347 387 395 396 397 398 399 407 447 497 897 1397 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 06:18 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

well thank you Jem but I think a happy and well worked crew is down to a good captain as yuZ iZ - we can be a petulant crew at times and the ship does need steering so well done to yuz too and I am glad you have mastered postimage [easy ain't it just]

I would also like to thank our good mate google without whose help many of us would have become incoherent and faltered
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 06:20 PM

On the 21st day before xmas my true love said to me
Hic; hic and triple hic NO I’m not getting pissed
Just hangin from the tree!
Only four more days whee whee !
Three gentle farts; two quick pees; one if you can make them last?
And the gifts are all half wrapped?????
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

20-12-2017, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
I'M back! [but still bored sh~tless]
IF anyone gives a hoot,the other 'time-term' in common use today,which everyone knows and nearly everyone has at some point used,is 'a jiffy'
This term,'jiffy',was a term thought of by a chap named Gilbert Newton Lewis.
He came up with the word jiffy' as the name for the time it takes light to travel one centimeter in a vacuum (approximately 33.3564 picoseconds).

Yuhh....that's where 'jiffy' came from.
I believe he died in 1946,so never got to know of the common usage of his originally technical term.
Ummm...I'm waiting for some govy GONK to come inspect my preparations and flu for the new combi boiler I'm waiting to install. Ergo,my intense boredom.
I've played four types of guitar,recorded two tracks,walked the pooches along the beach,gone for coal,made and lit the fire,cleaned the windows and written this crap-and STILL that prat is 'on route'!!!
Can you believe,I've had THREE calls from his office so far this morning-because he's lost?!?!?!?
LOST! - Trying to find a fkn ISLAND!!!
Oh,dear...remind me again why we 'average' dumbos have such little faith in governments???
is that an island attached to the mainland or not - it probably make a big different to a govt gonk who may be looking for a ferry??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

20-12-2017, 07:16 PM

as xmas draws cloose and my memory dims I recall a few last tales:

a favorite song was:

Xmas is coming the goose is getting fat
please spare a penny for the old mans hat
if you haven't got a penny a halfpenny will do
if you haven't got a halfpenny God bless you

which reminded me that we were so poor we couldn't afford a turkey and so ma and da always bought a duck which was ceremoniously hung on full display for a week at least before Xmas to mature I suppose.

the other great preparation was the making of the xmas puddings with sixpences embedded within them and us kids always tried to spot and remember were they where buried but always failed. the puddings were hung in wet muslin or sheeting from the indoor clothes lines to cure!

we always waited with great anticipation for the snow to fall and that was it!!
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->

I would like to wish all the scribblers and their kit and kin a very happy Christmas and a happy new year.
Thank you all for keeping me amused and cheering me up with many good laughs, it’s a pleasure to know you all.
I have to give you credit for the excellent behaviour all through the year, you all deserve a lump of sugar each.
Thank you most sincerely.
Now yis can all get pissed and have a good time, and the best of luck to ya.
I have been to that very church, although did not venture within a-cause we only wanted to go to the café but my Uncle/FiL couldn't manage the steps.

We did go in the other big church in Dublin. The one at Saint James's Gate. Well it must be a church as many people drink the holy water from within, and it's named after a saint.

Speaking of many, how many is many, is it greater than a few?
It has ossopits as well, as in too many, or not many. My branium is starting to hurt already.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 10:17 PM

I hope you get your boiler fixed Pug, the worst mistake we made was having the old copper boiler removed and a gas boiler installed, well it was at the wife’s insistence, you could burn anything in the main fireplace, coal, logs, turf peat brickettes, and the water would be piping hot in no time, these new boilers are made to conk out, and even when they don’t you still have to pay a chap 100 quid to ‘service’ them every year, our fella is just in and out in five minutes, what a racket, they play on peoples fear of them blowing up.

That photo is Christ Church Cathedral Fruity, Irelands largest church, completed in 1191, very interesting inside it, that Norman lad Strongbow who pronounced himself King of Ireland is buried there, all that cider was the doings of him in the end.

What a strange coincidence Gummy, I swear to God I was just singing that old song (the goose is getting’ fat) to me little grandson about two hours ago just before his mother called to take him home.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 10:29 PM

It’s Christmas time again and all the memories keep flooding back to me.
As you know I always get sentimental around this time, I guess it’s the memory of that old Christmas card sent to me many years ago by my childhood sweetheart Bella who had to emigrate with her family to Canada back in the early 60’s, we had to be physically wrenched from each others embrace as she left for the airport that sad morning.
Yes folks she sent me love and kisses on that old Canadian Christmas card just before she braved the arctic conditions to walk the 50 miles to the nearest outpost to send it on to me, what a gal, the snow lay four feet thick on the old trail home, but she was a tough ‘un and she hummed our favourite song as she shovelled her way back to the homestead and momma and papa.
Then fate played a cruel trick on her as a 200 foot giant cedar cracked under the weight of the snow, fell, and crushed her tiny frame to a sheet.
Yes folks it’s many years on now and when I look in the mirror I see a tired old man, then I look at that old Christmas card with the dog eared corners and in my heart I see her rosy cheeks, long raven hair, and captivating smile, for years I couldn’t pass a tree in the park without cursing at it. God rest her kind soul…every time I see snow now I weep,..I’m so sorry folks …I just can’t go on… it’s all too much, bless ya all.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 10:36 PM

It didn't happen,Jem-the pr1ck arrived,whined about having to be here,spouted his opinions of people who live in rustic,bucolic and generally non-urban areas [God only knows where he thinks his cornflakes are grown] then guffed about the flu being too close to a window...even though the flu is FOUR FEET from the fkn window in question and rises to just above the feckin' gutter,where the wind-cap ensures any fumes are carried out to sea,fer cryin' out loud. The bloke was a total twat,with the brain-power of a sponge,but half as charismatic. SO-no hot water or heating for Pug & Yes Dear until the Noo Yurr. But soddem...I've got a decent stack of logs and several sacks of coal nuggets,so sodthefekkinlotovvem. [cue shivering noises]
Plus,as it's totally not the thing to do,due to being severely frowned upon by govt wankers who HAVE both heating and plentiful hot water,the MOMENT that prat was back over the causeway,I got to work on this old,defunct,knackered,impossible to repair boiler. Took the bloody thing to bits,cleaned,cleared,reset the pressures,reset the psi's,ran cleaner and wires through the heat-exchanger,using an old coat-hanger,set it up for 2.1 bars [which is 2.4 below it's operational setting]..and although it'll take a bit of caring for,the bloody thing's now chugging gently away as it heats the water-although the rads remain turned off,as it'd take a bit of explaining if the poxy thing goes bang as it tries to power the flow through ten radiators-even a fikky such as I realises that's a tad too optimistic-so just a low psi/bars limit set,so Yes Dear can have a shav..er...I mean,wash in warm water. [PLEEEZE don't tell the old bat I said that!]
Oh-and,gumbud...this is an island,as in NOT a peninsular,bruv.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 10:39 PM

Well thank you JEM for being the man you are & for being a catalyst for LEISURELY SCRIBBLES this last coupla years.

Thanks also to

Spitfire for being inscrutably screwy, season by season

Pug for being irritatingly incredibly well informed.

Gumbud for being irascible, intelligent and with a heart of gold

Fruitcake, not just a baker , more a chef

Sweetie Pie, forget saccharin, she's the real thing.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 10:42 PM

MOI???

. . . . . "irritating" ?????????. . . . .

vous plaisantes avec moi,monsieur! [je le sius]

Page 397 of 1676 « First < 297 347 387 395 396 397 398 399 407 447 497 897 1397 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top