Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 03:25 PM

Re: Hurricane Coming to My House: You Are All Invited

Fingers crossed for you Smom, that not to much damage is done .And hope your dogs dont fret to much , weather can really upset some dogs ,as ive found out with mine ...
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
So it seems this storm is named "Nate". I hope he isn't the irritable and doesn't thow a hard punch.

While I have been wandering around the property this morning looking something akin to "The Return or the Mummy," still wrapped up hip to toe in compression bandages and stockings (now there's a sexy look), I have made good progress in stowing a few important items and clearing the balcony and porches.

The next thing is to get gasoline for the generator, give it a test run, and then waddle to the market for water. I won't be buying food because it's fairly traditional to eat one's way through the fridge and freezer as those contents are typically the first to go with the power outage (though the generator will mitigate that problem). We wil lose power if this is a Cat 1-2, but it will probably be repaired in 2-3 days.

If the storm becomes a Category 3, then I will evacuate with my daughter and dogs, but otherwise, I'll move to the inland house and prepare for a Saturday arrival.

I am among those who find this situation (post surgery + hurricane + recovering daughter) a lot more interesting and challenging (nothing like a good set of problems to solve) than a crisis... that is saved for the people in Caribbean weeks later. Glass half full and all that.....

Thank you all so much!
A pal of mine is a cop in Houston and lives near the coast......when a BIG storm comes along, one that is leaving a trail of destruction, all leave is cancelled....when this happens he knows it's time to ship out his family to Colorado where his Mum and Dad live.

Hope you and your family are ok.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 03:50 AM

Tpin, law enforcement, along with fire and rescue do an amazing job when the weather deterioates along the gulf coast, and it's a dangerous endeavor. I know one police officer drowned when he drove into floodwaters in Houston during Harvey. It's respectable work that your friend does when he must stay behind.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Can I please confirm the "45-60 MPH gusts"?

We often get storms over the winter months with gusts over 70 MPH - yet they're still called storms.....NOT hurricanes!

ln Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire hurricanes hardly ever happen.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
ln Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire hurricanes hardly ever happen.
Hah....hahhhh.....hhhhardly.

In Seaside, Siesta, and Sebastian, cyclones circle seasonally.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Hah....hahhhh.....hhhhardly.

In Seaside, Siesta, and Sebastian, cyclones circle seasonally.
....I like it Surfermom, is that the American equivalent?....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 09:51 PM

https://youtu.be/
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

07-10-2017, 02:48 PM

Ruthio, that clip is timeless... thank you for sharing.

OGF, yes it was a play on Florida towns, though I must admit that the term "cyclone" is saved for storms for storms in the Pacific, but in the name of good alliteration and all....

Here comes Nate! The big bouncing baby boy is due to arrive this evening so I am off to do the last preparations before the evacuations and curfews are in place. Don't tell, but I think this is all terribly exciting. Nothing like a good adventure....
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 04:16 PM

I am among those who find this situation (post surgery + hurricane + recovering daughter) a lot more interesting and challenging (nothing like a good set of problems to solve) than a crisis... that is saved for the people in Caribbean weeks later. Glass half full and all that.....
That's certainly a lot to cope with, but like you, I can see the challenge in dealing with multiple issues. Hope all goes well for you and yours......... stay safe!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

08-10-2017, 02:20 PM

Hurricane passed, no power or water, lots of debris (mostly palm fronds and roofing materials from neighbor's house), bottom of house flooded. Roof and structures all ok...but a busy day ahead of sand removal, cleanup. etc.

All is well!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top