Join for free
Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:07 PM

Re: Theresa May suffers humiliation in Commons

It makes a change that not every MP toes the party line, but actually does have a view on the topic in particular and votes according to conscience. We elect politicians to represent the whole of the constituents, which is what has happened tonight. An example is Ken Clarke, who has always made his views clear and to vote otherwise would be a betrayal of integrity.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:12 PM

It's feeble to use words such as traitor or betrayal for any parliamentary vote. This is the way our system runs. I find it strange that people who felt deeply let down by the way the government has handled brexit to date also feel let down by this vote. There appears to a fundamental misunderstanding at play.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
We vote for people to make the decisions on our behalf in domestic matters only. In a vote such as the recent referendum, the majority will of the people should have been carried out without let or hindrance. I class the people who are trying to derail our exit from the EU kleptocracy as traitors and they should be brought to book in any forthcoming elections.
Traitors indeed.
Why ask the people if the process is now reduced to a load of Remainers wriggling out of the woodwork?
They might as well have cut the whole population out of the voting equation and just had a parliamentary Brexit vote.
Total shambles.
All they've achieved is to further divide the country.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:14 PM

Yes they should never have held the referendum. That would have made more sense. Yes all it has done is to divide the country and given some the illusion that they have power to run it.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's feeble to use words such as traitor or betrayal for any parliamentary vote. This is the way our system runs. I find it strange that people who felt deeply let down by the way the government has handled brexit to date also feel let down by this vote. There appears to a fundamental misunderstanding at play.
How so?
We can all see the way the wind is blowing... which will suit Remainers. The minority.
Parliamentary votes is where the people rely on their voice been heard through their elected MP (Mouth Piece) .
Whereas a Referendum asked the people directly.
There is an intrinsic difference which is pretty basic.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

13-12-2017, 11:22 PM

Yes they should never have held the referendum. That would have made more sense. Yes all it has done is to divide the country and given some the illusion that they have power to run it.
I disagree ... over something this important a Referendum was absolutely necessary.
What has gone wrong is when people went out to vote it should have been made clear that the referendum result was eventually going to be subsidiary and secondary to Parliamentary approval.

The voters were led to believe by the then Prime Minister that what the people decided the people would get.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

13-12-2017, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
How so?
We can all see the way the wind is blowing... which will suit Remainers. The minority.
Parliamentary votes is where the people rely on their voice been heard through their elected MP (Mouth Piece) .
Whereas a Referendum asked the people directly.
There is an intrinsic difference which is pretty basic.
Actually remain were the majority of residents but many don't have voting rights because they never bothered to get citizenship.

Relying on parliamentary votes to come up with your expectations of the future is a bit like relying on a magic-8 ball to come up with the answer you would like.

I hate to point out that the referendum was "advisory" as I find that statement so patronisingly tedious. But we should be pleased that the official line is to take it as more than that. Although as we all know that's to appease the voters into thinking they actually have some power to change policy that the majority of parliament doesn't think is a good idea to start with.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

13-12-2017, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I disagree ... over something this important a Referendum was absolutely necessary.
What has gone wrong is when people went out to vote it should have been made clear that the referendum result was eventually going to be subsidiary and secondary to Parliamentary approval.

The voters were led to believe by the then Prime Minister that what the people decided the people would get.
Well if people had read the invisible small print they would have known how the system works. They would also have been told that there is no plan for a brexit vote. The "then prime minister" should IMO not be allowed to just disappear into anonymity. This is his shambles, his responsibility. He has created the most appalling divide this country has seen since the civil war.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

13-12-2017, 11:38 PM

Actually remain were the majority of residents but many don't have voting rights because they never bothered to get citizenship.
Never bothered to get citizenship is a feeble excuse. The only people who matter in any referendum are those who voted. I didn't vote .. but even I can do the maths and see the majority elected to leave.

Relying on parliamentary votes to come up with your expectations of the future is a bit like relying on a magic-8 ball to come up with the answer you would like.
Ah ... You mean like Remainers who are now cheering this outcome of this Parliamentary voting?

I hate to point out that the referendum was "advisory" as I find that statement so patronisingly tedious. But we should be pleased that the official line is to take it as more than that. Although as we all know that's to appease the voters into thinking they actually have some power to change policy that the majority of parliament doesn't think is a good idea to start with.
That all sounds well and good until you remember that 650 MPs went out and voted for their own personal choice on referendum day. 650 amongst over 33 million who turned out that day.
Whatever has transpired since is nothing to do, or should be nothing to do, with their own personal choice.
I don't think May's strong enough to weather all this .. she has that many knives stuck in her back she must sleep face down at night by now.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

13-12-2017, 11:42 PM

Well if people had read the invisible small print they would have known how the system works. They would also have been told that there is no plan for a brexit vote. The "then prime minister" should IMO not be allowed to just disappear into anonymity. This is his shambles, his responsibility. He has created the most appalling divide this country has seen since the civil war.
I'd agree with that about Cameron. He clearly didn't expect the result he got and had made no provision for it.
I can remember when he gave his resignation speech and went back inside 10 Downing Street, I'm sure I can remember him getting caught out by his microphone and was overheard muttering .. I'm not dealing with this shit.... or words to that effect.

You're right. A great deal of this mess is his fault.

Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top