Join for free
Page 19 of 19 « First < 9 17 18 19
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 02:49 PM

Re: It's Been Puzzling Me????

This I'm inclined to agree with...

Originally Posted by twizzle
We have already seen with the mess they have made of Universal Credits, the homeless crisis, cutting disability benefits and housing benefits and benefit sanctions that our governments often have no concern for our poorest, including our working poor. And I fear without the restrictions of EU regulations, they will be nothing stopping them doing their worst.

But this...this is unbelievably offensive...

Originally Posted by twizzle
If you didn't vote Brexit because you are stupid, thick, xenophobic and a Little Englander, then the only other reasons I can think of are a vindictiveness towards the young or a selfish willingness to put your principles on independence above other people's well being.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
The problem I have with that is it's not only, or mostly you who has to take the consequences.

42 million of us will have to suffer them against our will. Our rights to travel and work will be restricted, we are already suffering from rising prices. I suspect next on the hit list will be workers rights and the minimum wage.

Why should some of the poorest in our society be sacrificed to your principles? As an older person you are likely to suffer less financial and lifestyle damage for a shorter time than the next generation you are inflicting Brexit on.

If you didn't vote Brexit because you are stupid, thick, xenophobic and a Little Englander, then the only other reasons I can think of are a vindictiveness towards the young or a selfish willingness to put your principles on independence above other people's well being.

I don't think it's unusual to insult those you believe are hell bent on doing you harm, you're hardly going to give them a big squishy hug, are you?
Hi

No big squishy hug, however I do prefer a good debate rather than hurling insults.

This something we obviously differ on.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 03:49 PM

I think someone's missing the point many young people voted out too, and many older people voted remain. This pitting one section of society against another is pretty stupid.

It also was obvious many who haven't lived outside the Eu were and still are plain scared of being alone. Once we are out and they can see some progress I think they will appreciate it isn't as scary as they thought.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 06:52 PM

That's the most stupid thing you've said to date, and downright bloody insulting.

I'll just bet you're the life & soul at parties eh?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
That's the most stupid thing you've said to date, and downright bloody insulting.

I'll just bet you're the life & soul at parties eh?
Been plenty of insults hurled my way for saying we should have stayed in, but you would not notice those would you?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Been plenty of insults hurled my way for saying we should have stayed in, but you would not notice those would you?
I don't dislike you at all Purwell tbh, and many comments toward you are more in jest rather than being serious.
You're generally not malicious or insulting to others - more naughty but nice!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 09:40 PM

That's one of the reasons I think the older generation were selfish to vote Brexit and risks the rights of the younger generation who are working to pay their pensions.
You're tarring everyone with the same brush there........but as someone who has worked - extremely long and hard - to pay for her pension..........I'm still about £25,000 short! So working hasn't done me much good has it?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

03-01-2018, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
You're tarring everyone with the same brush there........but as someone who has worked - extremely long and hard - to pay for her pension..........I'm still about £25,000 short! So working hasn't done me much good has it?
Take no notice Lindy - she's just an old sour puss!
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think someone's missing the point many young people voted out too, and many older people voted remain. This pitting one section of society against another is pretty stupid.

It also was obvious many who haven't lived outside the Eu were and still are plain scared of being alone. Once we are out and they can see some progress I think they will appreciate it isn't as scary as they thought.
Yes, some young people voted Brexit and some old people Remain. But age was still a significant factor, 64% of over 65s voted leave and only 29% of under 25s.

Why is of course open to debate but it's my belief that some the Boomers, having benefited from the housing boom, free university education and now secure in their pensions were prepared to risk the future of the young in pursuit of a rose tinted nostalgia for 1950s and self-determination, because they knew it would be the young who paid the price and not them.

The world has changed since anyone in the UK lived outside the UK and it's insulting and simplistic to say those who never experienced it fear being alone. More likely they appreciate the prosperity, security and opportunities that can come from co-operating with your closest neighbours and allies.

I don't believe any progress after Brexit is possible and that the working population will see a sharp decline in their living standar and prospects. We already have Brexiters saying that a low wage economy would be a good thing. It will be much, much more scary than they thought and they'll know who to blame. It's the older Brexiters who pitched one section of society against another by the way they voted.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 02:55 PM

Hi

We have been part of the EU for 40 years, there is so much to untangle.

We have set our Red Lines.

No Single Market, no Customs Union and no ECJ.

So, we need to get our own computer systems for Trade and collecting tariffs and VAT and making sure the Non Tariff Barriers are in place.

We will no longer the able to use the EU Systems.

One of our major export earners is Pharmaceuticals, we are leaving the EU Agency, so need to set up our own and get it Internationally Approved.

We are leaving Euratom, so need to set up our own agency and get it approved.

The list is huge, even covering things like GPS and Military Satellites.

Absolutely naff all has been done so far, and that is why we are desperate to secure a transition period.

Just walking away is not an option.

Page 19 of 19 « First < 9 17 18 19

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top