Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 10:17 PM

Re: Farage says Barnier is offering NOTHING to UK

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
Well, obviously "the UK" didn't vote to leave, "the UK" isn't a sentient being that trots along to the ballot box.

A very small majority of UK voters voted to leave in the referendum. That is not the same as saying "the UK", "the British People" or "We" voted to leave, all expressions beloved by Brexiters.

Because of that small majority, the rest of us are being dragged out against our will. Therefore Mrs May and the Government doing the dragging don't represent "the UK", "the British People" or "we", they only represent those who voted Brexit.

In the same way, "the UK" didn't vote for a Conservative Government, again it's not an entity capable of voting. A small majority voted Conservative and DUP, so they formed a Government, but they only represent those who voted for them, not those who voted otherwise, that's why we have an opposition, to put forward and represent the other points of view and vote against the governments actions when they disagree with them. The small majority of the Conservatives and the Dups mean the opposition have power and influence.

In the same way, Brexit may be going ahead but the majority for it was similarly small. So why should thre not be an opposition to Brexit to put forward and represent the Remainers point of view and given an opportunity to vote against the Brexiter's actions and any deal negotiated? The remainer are as entitled as the Brexiters to have input and decide on anything negotiated.
you will need a jcb soon,cause the hole your digging is getting deeper
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 10:19 PM

In the same way, Brexit may be going ahead but the majority for it was similarly small. So why should thre not be an opposition to Brexit to put forward and represent the Remainers point of view and given an opportunity to vote against the Brexiter's actions and any deal negotiated? The remainer are as entitled as the Brexiters to have input and decide on anything negotiated.
Not according to the brexiters on here who complain that the EU is a dictatorship, yet want to dictate to those of us that did not want to leave.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 10:30 PM

Well, obviously "the UK" didn't vote to leave, "the UK" isn't a sentient being that trots along to the ballot box.

A very small majority of UK voters voted to leave in the referendum. That is not the same as saying "the UK", "the British People" or "We" voted to leave, all expressions beloved by Brexiters.
A "very small majority"? 53% of the people who voted. For your edification, that's a majority and that's how democracy works.

Perhaps I should say this again, as some people are a little 'hard of understanding'.

A majority in the referendum demanded that we leave the EU; a minority wanted us to remain and an even smaller minority appeared not to be bothered either way.

Another illogical stance on the part of the remainiacs is to suggest that this latter group would have supported their wish to remain.

But they didn't, did they?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 10:39 PM

I've always felt because I was about a year too young to vote first time round I was dragged in against my will I really hope I haven't been as unpleasant to remainers all those years as some have been to leavers this time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've always felt because I was about a year too young to vote first time round I was dragged in against my will I really hope I haven't been as unpleasant to remainers all those years as some have been to leavers this time.
Good point Julia.

A certain person here is claiming that the 53% vote for leaving the EU was insufficient, and that because the majority was 'so low', it should be questioned and, preferably, overturned.

Clearly, when we agreed to membership of the EU, we didn't even have a vote on the matter.

Surely, then, that is a cause for overturning that decision and we should be out straight away.

I'm sure the person concerned will agree.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Good point Julia.

A certain person here is claiming that the 53% vote for leaving the EU was insufficient, and that because the majority was 'so low', it should be questioned and, preferably, overturned.

Clearly, when we agreed to membership of the EU, we didn't even have a vote on the matter.

Surely, then, that is a cause for overturning that decision and we should be out straight away.

I'm sure the person concerned will agree.
Brilliant idea, destroy the economy in on fell swoop!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 12:46 AM

Therefore Mrs May and the Government doing the dragging don't represent "the UK", "the British People" or "we", they only represent those who voted Brexit.

In the same way, "the UK" didn't vote for a Conservative Government, again it's not an entity capable of voting. A small majority voted Conservative , .....
... and so it came to pass that we have a Conservative government.

For one wild moment of fanciful abandon I thought you were going to work it out and get there .. but alas, it was not meant to be, poor Yorick, we know her so well ... the court jester exhumed again.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 07:47 AM

Hi

David Davies has now complained to Theresa May about the EU getting ready for a No Deal Brexit.

https://news.sky.com/story/eu-surpri...nning-11201562

I find this pathetic, we are the ones threatening No Deal and just leaving and the EU have been planning for this since Theresa May announced it.

The EU are miles ahead of us in planning, which is an appalling situation which we have allowed to develop.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-01-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
I find this pathetic, we are the ones threatening No Deal and just leaving and the EU have been planning for this since Theresa May announced it.
This confirms many of my suspicions. Would you trust the EU?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
This confirms many of my suspicions. Would you trust the EU?
Hi

I rather think you misunderstand my point JBR.

It is the UK which started things off with No Deal is better than a bad deal.

The EU then started planning in case of no deal, which was the sensible thing to do.

Our Politicians however have not started planning for it and have gone begging for a 2 year transition.

This is sheer incompetence from our politicians and has resulted in us having to promises £ Billions to get it.

I loathe the idea of giving the EU a penny more than we had too.

So far the EU are running rings round our Politicians.

I had hoped for better.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top