Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 11:08 PM

Yosemite National park

an amazing place to visit. This was a visit we did in a november a few years ago

DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 09:39 PM

Re: Yosemite National park

It’s the most amazing place I have been, lucky last August the waterfall was still running strong, it does not seem to matter how many times you see it, it still takes the breath away. I have only ever seen it in Summer though, I would love to see it through out the seasons, especially Spring.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 12:07 AM

Realspeed, I just found this - a lovely post!

A good portion of my childhood was spent at Yosemite, camping, hiking, and skiing at Badger Pass. I am old enought to remember them sending burning logs over Bridal Veil falls and the days before there were guard rails on perilous mountain roads.

My son is wanting to backcountry hike and camp there, so we are looking at the calendar.

When it snows, you have to have tire chains or snow tires on your car. My most memorable there was a Janurary day during which only fifteen of us were allowed entrance because we had the right kind of tires. It was perfectly silent and the snow untouched. Heavenly!

DWebb, you would definitely love it there during the other seasons. It has a completely different ambience each season.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Realspeed, I just found this - a lovely post!

A good portion of my childhood was spent at Yosemite, camping, hiking, and skiing at Badger Pass. I am old enought to remember them sending burning logs over Bridal Veil falls and the days before there were guard rails on perilous mountain roads.

My son is wanting to backcountry hike and camp there, so we are looking at the calendar.

When it snows, you have to have tire chains or snow tires on your car. My most memorable there was a Janurary day during which only fifteen of us were allowed entrance because we had the right kind of tires. It was perfectly silent and the snow untouched. Heavenly!

DWebb, you would definitely love it there during the other seasons. It has a completely different ambience each season.
Spring is the season I would love to see when the snow melts and the falls and rivers would be peaking, the bears coming out of hibernation and the foliage coming to life. It’s always been August I go in so far but at least the falls were running last year.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 10:29 PM

We had to go in November as that is when we closed our business down for 2 weeks being our slack time.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 04:26 AM

Spring in Yosemite is spectacular (it's poppy and lupine season), but it can be bit tricky. Hiking good distances can be spotty because snowfall is unpredictible, leaving some secondary roads and trails closed. The upside is that if there is snow, there are opportunities to ski, cross country ski, or snowshoe. With the snow melt, spring is also a great time to whitewater raft the Merced, and crowds are light. If you go early in the Bear sightings are actually few, and fewer in the spring than summer.

DWebb, I know you have mentioned an interest in bears. If you haven't been, have you considered Alaska? There's no place like it for bears and more wildlife than I have seen anywhere.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 11:05 AM

I love Yosemite and have been twice. However, I love Yellowstone even more having been three times. The last time for two weeks in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Fabulous for lots and lots of wildlife. The only animal on our tick list that we did not see was Grizzly. Glacier NP is also a fabulous place to visit, with the spectacular Going to the Sun Road.

The most magical of all was when staying in the Tetons was hearing the wolves howling in chorus at 3 a.m. An unforgettable experience.
DWebb
North East, UK

27-02-2018, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Spring in Yosemite is spectacular (it's poppy and lupine season), but it can be bit tricky. Hiking good distances can be spotty because snowfall is unpredictible, leaving some secondary roads and trails closed. The upside is that if there is snow, there are opportunities to ski, cross country ski, or snowshoe. With the snow melt, spring is also a great time to whitewater raft the Merced, and crowds are light. If you go early in the Bear sightings are actually few, and fewer in the spring than summer.

DWebb, I know you have mentioned an interest in bears. If you haven't been, have you considered Alaska? There's no place like it for bears and more wildlife than I have seen anywhere.
I actually did a two week fly drive in Alaska around 2009 I think, I remember getting stuck in Anchorage for an extra 3 day’s due to some volcano rumbling and spewing ash, I did see this guy though eating a fish by the side of a river

I am a bit of a wuss with weather so usually avoid cold places but the weather during those two weeks was pretty good.

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I love Yosemite and have been twice. However, I love Yellowstone even more having been three times. The last time for two weeks in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Fabulous for lots and lots of wildlife. The only animal on our tick list that we did not see was Grizzly. Glacier NP is also a fabulous place to visit, with the spectacular Going to the Sun Road.

The most magical of all was when staying in the Tetons was hearing the wolves howling in chorus at 3 a.m. An unforgettable experience.
Yellowstone is another stunning park, I would find it difficult to choose between the two, throw in the Tetons and the Snake river and you have a great place to explore. I was hoping to see last years full eclipse in that area but left booking a hotel to late and ended up in Nebraska instead.
DWebb
North East, UK

27-02-2018, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We had to go in November as that is when we closed our business down for 2 weeks being our slack time.
Was there any snow at that time of year?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

01-03-2018, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
I actually did a two week fly drive in Alaska around 2009 I think, I remember getting stuck in Anchorage for an extra 3 day’s due to some volcano rumbling and spewing ash, I did see this guy though eating a fish by the side of a river

I am a bit of a wuss with weather so usually avoid cold places but the weather during those two weeks was pretty good.

Yellowstone is another stunning park, I would find it difficult to choose between the two, throw in the Tetons and the Snake river and you have a great place to explore. I was hoping to see last years full eclipse in that area but left booking a hotel to late and ended up in Nebraska instead.
That was Mt. Redoubt erupting and I was there!

While Nebraska was probably a bit of a disappointment, I am sure Yellowstone and the Teton weren't! Summer is the time to go, even with the insects, and I have to admit that I only go in the summer because of a similar aversion of cold temperatures. Did you make it to Denali National Park?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top