Join for free
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 10:58 PM

Smart TV and keyboard

I recently bought a Smart TV simply for an extra TV to use solely for watching DVDs in the back room. It isn't linked to the aerial as I don't need it to watch TV programmes.

What I do like to watch sometimes are YouTube videos and it has the internet so I can look at these on a big screen from the comfort of an armchair instead of on a laptop or desk pc.

Trouble is it takes ages to type in what I want to watch or Google using the TV remote control, tapping the keys up and down etc. It's such a long-winded way of finding what I want to watch.

My question is: Is there an easier and faster way to navigate the screen using some other kind of device? A wireless keyboard, or bluetooth from my phone....does this technology exist?

Thanks
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 11:29 PM

Re: Smart TV and keyboard

There's this type of thing.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-wi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You'll need some more info on it and see if your TV is capable of being controlled by remote keypad.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 12:58 AM

I would never try and use a TV to do the job of a computer, why bother?

Get a laptop or even a cheap netbook, plug it into the TV using an HD cable. Then simply buy a wireless keyboard and mouse for it.

You can sit on your sofa with the keyboard on your lap and mouse beside you and surf to your hearts content.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
There's this type of thing.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-wi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You'll need some more info on it and see if your TV is capable of being controlled by remote keypad.
That looks like what I'm looking for Judd, thanks Reasonably priced as well.
Think I'll pop to Maplins to ask them about compatibility.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-02-2018, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I would never try and use a TV to do the job of a computer, why bother?

Get a laptop or even a cheap netbook, plug it into the TV using an HD cable. Then simply buy a wireless keyboard and mouse for it.

You can sit on your sofa with the keyboard on your lap and mouse beside you and surf to your hearts content.
Well precisely as I mentioned in my post, Realist.
So I can watch videos, and even full concerts on a TV-sized screen. Far more relaxing than squinting at my lap top.

***EDIT***
Sorry pal. As Tpin kindly pointed out, I get your meaning now. I must have read it wrong earlier. I'll give it a go thanks.

Can't help being a thick and stoopid Northerner.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Well precisely as I mentioned in my post, Realist.
So I can watch videos, and even full concerts on a TV-sized screen. Far more relaxing than squinting at my lap top.
Like realist points out....I plug my laptop into my TV via the HDMI cable and everything you see on your laptop is now on the TV screen.

Same reason as you....it takes far too long to type in on the TV
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-02-2018, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Like realist points out....I plug my laptop into my TV via the HDMI cable and everything you see on your laptop is now on the TV screen.

Same reason as you....it takes far too long to type in on the TV
As above. Ta bud
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 07:40 PM

We bought our smart TV about two or three years ago. We watch most programmes on its iplayer. We are usually in bed before 9pm so would miss out if we were unable to do that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top