Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 12:31 AM

Re: Switching from Windows to IOS

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Desk top is on its last legs and now my iPad is coming to the end of its life ( can't upgrade the OS past IOS 9 ) so I've bitten the bullet and ordered a MacBook Air

Did anyone who switched over from Windows find the Mac to be confusing to use or easy to pick up?

I use my pad just for surfing really with a few apps for day to day life. Anything like photos, word processing etc I've always used the desk top

Any apps that are a must have?
I have a Mac Air El Capitan
I love it Missy. I have never had a PC, but I have had many Mac and loved them all. Once you get used to it, PC seems complicated.

You don't need anything extra, it is all there.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 12:37 AM

Read your little book that comes with it, and take advantage (and learn) how to do the two and three finger on the (whatever you call it, hahah. I have a migraine and can't think properly), but you will see what I mean when you read the book.

It is just great. You are going to love your MacAir. My son tried to get me to trade with him for a new mac and I wouldn't part with my Air.

Be patient with yourself and learn each thing as you go, let it sink in and don't feel discouraged if you don't understand at first....and don't worry about anyone hacking you. I don't think that will happen.
And I don't think you will ever get a virus...
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 12:37 AM

Indeed, all the apps I need are free, even my music, lots of different photo editors, word processes etc, my granddaughters school all use Macs and she is a whizz using it, definitely worth considering if you are in the market for a stress free computer..having said that I do the majority of my work on this iPad
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 01:23 AM

Thank you Blue and Rehab

Rehab, photo editing wise, what would you say was the simplest app to get to grips with for more detailed editing then the iPhoto's ?

I've always had Windows as well, 3.1 to Windows 7, and it's been that one that's broken the camels back. Like you I am fed up with updates and virus scans and blue screens. Although saying that I'm quite used to delving in and fixing faults and upgrading memory etc. I love my iPads but this one is coming to the end of its life with apps no longer supporting IOS9 and the processor not big enough to handle IOS11. I'll still use it for browsing as its a handy size for sitting on the sofa with, but I need a work horse

I'm so looking forward to my machine arriving. I've had to order from England so fingers crossed it will be here come Friday so I can play all weekend

Any really useful apps you can think off, speak up
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Wise up, vegemite is a poor substitute for the real thing
I could tell that your heart wasn't in that.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Thank you Blue and Rehab

Rehab, photo editing wise, what would you say was the simplest app to get to grips with for more detailed editing then the iPhoto's ?

I've always had Windows as well, 3.1 to Windows 7, and it's been that one that's broken the camels back. Like you I am fed up with updates and virus scans and blue screens. Although saying that I'm quite used to delving in and fixing faults and upgrading memory etc. I love my iPads but this one is coming to the end of its life with apps no longer supporting IOS9 and the processor not big enough to handle IOS11. I'll still use it for browsing as its a handy size for sitting on the sofa with, but I need a work horse

I'm so looking forward to my machine arriving. I've had to order from England so fingers crossed it will be here come Friday so I can play all weekend

Any really useful apps you can think off, speak up
Pxlr is quite good, and free, along with PS express. For photo editing

Spotify for music
Word and Pages for word processing
And all the usual stuff you get in Windows is on there too.
The App Store lists all apps by subject obviously some are not free. I do not have one paid for app on the IPad or Mac, it’s all free. I must admit it was long learning process on the Mac having used Windows for so long but my 14 year old granddaughter has no problem with it, so if stuck I ask her.
Good luck with the new machine
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 02:36 PM

The biggest problem for me is that all the programs I use are not compatible with Mac.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 02:56 PM

Hi

There is a reason why the Government does not use Apple.

It is not solely down to cost.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Pxlr is quite good, and free, along with PS express. For photo editing

Spotify for music
Word and Pages for word processing
And all the usual stuff you get in Windows is on there too.
The App Store lists all apps by subject obviously some are not free. I do not have one paid for app on the IPad or Mac, it’s all free. I must admit it was long learning process on the Mac having used Windows for so long but my 14 year old granddaughter has no problem with it, so if stuck I ask her.
Good luck with the new machine
Thanks for that Rehab

Well it arrived today and I'm just playing with it now

It is a thing of beauty

Just finding my way about it. Loved how my contacts and diary automatically loaded. I will load my photos later when I have more time as I have them stored on so many devices

Love the track pad, something Ive never been able to use on a windows machine, but this is just like using my phone and pads, same finger gestures. I will get a mouse though as I do like to. game as well

Mr Missy has been eying it up and is muttering that he may get one as well

I will look out those apps
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

15-02-2018, 11:00 PM

My pleasure, Missy, I am glad you like it so far
Just a tip though, batteries, invest in rechargeable for the keypad, mouse..
It will save you some money in the long term.
Edit Oops forget that you had an Air

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top