Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 06:09 PM

Modern Gismos

We decided we needed new cordless phones as ours were getting on a bit. We needed ones with caller recognition and the ability to block all the nuisance calls we receive. Anyway the phones arrived and my heart sank when I tried to understand the instructions. My husband struggled too, even though he is much better at reading and understanding written instructions than I am. Fortunately our eldest girl was able to come over and sort us out. However, it took her a good half hour or more to programme the things! It will take us a while to be completely comfortable when using them. Never in a million years would I ever manage one of these smart phones every one seems to own these days.

I have mentioned before that I find our smart TV irritating, when things appear on the screen I don't want, and I struggle to get rid of them.

My car, which I bought new in in 2016, has loads of gismos I don't require. I just want to get from A to B without hassle.

My laptop keeps updating itself, why can't it leave well alone?

I love my Kindle, but it is the older version, all the newer ones appear to be touch screens, which I find hard to use. . I am dreading the day my old one bites the dust.

Do other posters struggle with these modern gadgets, or is it just this senile old bat.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 06:13 PM

Re: Modern Gismos

From one senile old bat to another .... you are not alone.

Time was you could figure out how to use stuff even without a manual. Now you're sunk if you lose it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 06:20 PM

This senile old bat has similar problems.
What is most annoying is pop up ads, you think you're poking the x in the corner but the whole thing fills the screen, sometimes with a video.
Also you can be typing away on here or an email and someone messages you, you try to swipe it away and the message pops up, then you try to get back to your typing and you've either lost it or you're somewhere completely different!
I find I'm busy saving pets or crushing candy and someone I don't know posts something on FB and all those poor pets get stranded on top those towers of coloured cubes or you set off a bomb that means you've lost on level 901 and you have no more lives...
...so you have to ask friends...
...then you find none of your friends play Pet Rescue or Candy Crush and all is lost!
Tezza
Kent
Tezza is male  Tezza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 06:22 PM

The main problem is IMO that things change to quickly now. There was a time way back (seemingly) when changes crept in, now they zoom in on the hour leaving us slightly older peeps less time to get adjusted. I’ve had the phones you describe for about a year and I still haven’t used hardly any of the things it can do.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 06:22 PM

That all sounds acceptably hi-tech to me.

I actually had a hoover once, a Bosch I think .. and even emptying the dust compartment used to stump me.
Tezza
Kent
Tezza is male  Tezza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
That all sounds acceptably hi-tech to me.

I actually had a hoover once, a Bosch I think .. and even emptying the dust compartment used to stump me.
Bosch and hoover are two makes Morty 😃 think you meant a vacuum cleaner.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 06:25 PM

Once upon a time I had a Fan Oven.
I turned a knob to switch it on and turned a second knob to fix the required temperature.
Oh yes, and there was a separate Grill above. The End.

My new oven has the following settings: ....
Circo Therm
Circo Therm eco
Top/bottom heating
Pizza setting
Bread baking setting
Bottom heating
Circo-roasting
Full-surface grill
Centre-area grill
Slow cooking
Steam cooking
Dough proving
Oven cleaning
Interior lighting

Thats just the Main Oven.

Then theres theTop Oven zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 06:29 PM

I just sold my unused digital microwave at half price to a friend because I couldn't understand the instructions....and have replaced it with a no nonsense simple to use model.

My TV is the very latest smart model but I haven't the faintest idea how to use all the clever clever stuff its capable of.
Tezza
Kent

23-02-2018, 06:30 PM

Like a lot of likeminded people I am desperately hoping some of my older gadgets will keep going. Mind you I have grandchildren to help out.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 06:33 PM

My latest hoover is a Dyson with a great big ball...its useless just keeps hurtling into the wall, never goes where I push it, obviously designed for blokes lordruthio loves it...so he does all the hoovering now

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top