Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 09:30 PM

opening bottles /Jars

Does anyone else have trouble opening packets/jars /bottles etc.bottles etc.?I dont have arthritis and don have a very good grip in my hands and often find it difficult to open things,tablets often dont want to come out of their foil containers,Jar lids dont turn ,and those plastic sticky tops on top of milk bottles etc,sometimes have to be cut off [ they ster meant to pull off ]
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 09:36 PM

Re: opening bottles /Jars

LOL, know what you mean Deylon. I confess to sticking a knife through the lid of those damn jars that just will not open.
(good job we eat the contents pretty quickly).

I too hate those milk sealer lids with a tab so damn small you cannot get a good grip on it, then you end up with just taking half of it before it decides to tear in half! grrrrr.

You have my sympathy.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 09:58 PM

I find jar lids are easier to unscrew if you tap around the edge with the blade of a knife.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 10:01 PM

My main problem is medication bottles with the type of top you have to twist and screw down simultaneously. I used a bradawl and hammer to break through the plastic top, I then prise out the inner surface and put the top back on. This opens easily after that. I have to use the same method for opening Nescafe jars with their lids with sloping sides.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
My main problem is medication bottles with the type of top you have to twist and screw down simultaneously. I used a bradawl and hammer to break through the plastic top, I then prise out the inner surface and put the top back on. This opens easily after that. I have to use the same method for opening Nescafe jars with their lids with sloping sides.
CeeCee, I don't know if you know, but for medication you can ask for it to be put in a container without a child proof top

Many many people can't open them, me included
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 10:24 PM

My pharmacist said that my medication cannot be dispensed in a different container. It costs £100 a bottle and has a special fitting into which I have to push a syringe to draw out the required amount. My meds have to be liquid because due to my ileostomy, tablets are not absorbed.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:49 AM

All sorts of can-opening aids are on the market - I bought one of these to make life easier:

Brabantia Universal Opener

basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 06:54 AM

Warm water from a tap allowed to drizzle onto metal caps for a few seconds will allow one to open the jar quite easily.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 08:16 AM

Brabantia Universal Opener

Thank you , Oman - this is exactly the type of thing I am looking for.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 08:23 AM

It's a fact that they don't make it easy, for the more frail "childproof" also means o.a.p. proof...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top