Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 06:00 PM

Re: Gentlemen

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
Modesty prevents me from describing my horticultural attire.
Suffice to say that I have hardly ever wobble about in the buff outside.
Even so, I am inclined to keep my socks on when water coloring, its somewhere to tuck my sable brushes
I've tucked them behind my ears before now
But in your socks is an ingenious idea!

I might try it out with my hold up stockings
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And offered them a glass of claret perhaps.......
WAITROSE currently have A GOOD ORDINARY CLARET at £5.49 per bottle.
Prefer a nice fruity white myself, try Gewurztraminer from the Alsace. Its under £10
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:45 PM

What tends to worry me is that all six of my brothers were raised to treat girls and women with the utmost respect and politeness. This meant always opening doors for a lady, giving up their seat on a bus or train if a lady is standing and (I know this probably sounds weird to today's generation) but to always walk on the outside of the pavement so the lady is safely on the inside. I brought up my gorillas with the same rules.

The problem now though is that some girls/ladies seem to find these good manners very offensive, and think nothing of remonstrating with a man for even thinking of treating them as "the fairer sex" instead of, in their world, an equal. Of course women are equal, but maybe someone should explain to them that good manners from men cost nothing yet seems to be heading for the dustbin, which is sad.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:50 PM

Quite so. Amen to more of that
LOL, The last time I recall any man doffing his hat was when I was young and the Insurance Man called for his weekly money from my Mum. She opened the door, he doffed his trilby in greeting and the dog jumped up at him baring her teeth because she thought he was raising his hand to hit my mum!! Luckily she didn't actually bite him.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
What tends to worry me is that all six of my brothers were raised to treat girls and women with the utmost respect and politeness. This meant always opening doors for a lady, giving up their seat on a bus or train if a lady is standing and (I know this probably sounds weird to today's generation) but to always walk on the outside of the pavement so the lady is safely on the inside. I brought up my gorillas with the same rules.

The problem now though is that some girls/ladies seem to find these good manners very offensive, and think nothing of remonstrating with a man for even thinking of treating them as "the fairer sex" instead of, in their world, an equal. Of course women are equal, but maybe someone should explain to them that good manners from men cost nothing yet seems to be heading for the dustbin, which is sad.
I always hold the door open whether it's for a woman, a man or a child. I have never had anyone protest but if they did, I'm afraid my reply would not be so gentlemanly.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Dearest OGF,

Nice one Surfermom, you know me so well.......Is that Mrs Fox and me?.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 10:49 PM

WAITROSE currently have A GOOD ORDINARY CLARET at £5.49 per bottle.
Prefer a nice fruity white myself, try Gewurztraminer from the Alsace. Its under £10
Unfortunately we seem to be devoid of Waitrose in Doncaster Robert......(this is South Yorkshire you know) Tesco any good?....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
LOL, The last time I recall any man doffing his hat was when I was young and the Insurance Man called for his weekly money from my Mum. She opened the door, he doffed his trilby in greeting and the dog jumped up at him baring her teeth because she thought he was raising his hand to hit my mum!! Luckily she didn't actually bite him.
Did the Geezer bring Providence.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 10:53 PM

Boys and girls should IMO be taught basic manners in school .
They should get them from home of course but so often don't .
No one man or woman should let a door go behind them .
If someone holds the door for you don't just walk through as if he she is the doorman take it from that person with thanks .
A gentleman should stand back and allow a woman to go through before him .
Everyone likes a man with manners the mark of a gentleman .
Fortunately I am married to one.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
At the art store today, I was wrestling with two very large canvases, trying to get them off a high shelf and then to the checkout corner.

A very nice man approached me, in a very friendly and confident manner, and absolutely insisted that he carry the canvases up front.

While I could have managed myself, it was nice to have a gentleman lend a hand. It made him feel good (he said so), and it felt nice to be treated like a lady.

I don't hesitate to offer to help people, men or women, who look like they need a hand, but these kindnesses seem less commonplace. Is this my imagination? Do people think an offer to help might be offensive in some way?
Surfer I would be delighted if someone offered to help me with say a heavy package, never would it cross my mind to be offended, by the same token if I saw anyone struggling with a parcel I would offer to lend them a hand.
I think it’s all in ones nature, some have a good nature while others have a bad nature, it’s the same all over the world, thankfully there are more of the good type than the bad.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top