Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 07:32 PM

Re: would you ever buy the big issue on contactless payment ?

I recently picked up a Daily Mail to read in the hospital; someone had left it behind. I was struck by how difficult it was to read, all that page turning, folding and squinting - added to this, I think it cost 75p or something (may have been more)

All the newspapers online are at least tidily arranged into sections which you can read on a variety of devices - and without getting your hands dirty. If a particular piece is rubbish - like the Big Issue - you need never look at it. It struck me just how antiquated print media has become in a short while. I live above a shop and the manager says he has seen plummeting sales for so long that he'll only carry one or two editions of anything now.

And how can The Big Issue still be an issue of sorts? I don't mean homelessness but is it really our biggest issue these days?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 07:46 PM

Admit to not ever buying one. I have my chosen small local charities that I support and stick to them.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 07:48 PM

That's the best way and what I do with a children's charity and the cat rescue place.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I used contactless in the cafe this morning for a £9 bill but still got my paper receipt.
That's interesting I only used it twice and didn't even get offered one so decided not to use it again.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I hardly ever eat out, but that's twice in a week now - I'm trying to be kind to myself as people are always telling me I ought to be. So it's a treat.
Good for you !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:58 PM

I will not use 'contactless' for anything.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 02:40 AM

I've bought it once or twice before there was little of interest in it for me.
Now if l see a Big Issue seller I'll probably give him a pound but say I don't want a magazine.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Me neither ST, that way if there are any problems with my account I can say I have never used the contactless facility.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Nor would I.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 10:05 AM

I used to give to 'the big issue' but don't anymore since the Romanian 'bully boys' took over. One of them is about 6'4'' and 20 stone, once when I was shopping he had an argument with the old chap setting up his pitch to collect for the air ambulance saying the air ambulance collector had stolen his regular pitch. The old chap was visibly shaken and a lot of bystanders got involved. I didn't hang around but was told later the police had to be called.

The air ambulance only collect a couple of times a year the Romanians are there most days and seem to think they own the place.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top