Join for free
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 08:32 AM

Chepstow

Having a short break next week in Chepstow - first 'trip' since MOH had a new hip six weeks ago. We picked it as it's reasonably close to home (hour's drive), and a chance to get out of the house for a bit.

Any suggestions of things to see in/near Chepstow? I've found Chepstow and Caldicot castles, Chepstow museum and Tintern Abbey. The racecourse is of NO interest (unless there's a market there, lol!).

does anyone have any opinions on any of these places? Advice much appreciated!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 08:52 AM

Re: Chepstow

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
Having a short break next week in Chepstow - first 'trip' since MOH had a new hip six weeks ago. We picked it as it's reasonably close to home (hour's drive), and a chance to get out of the house for a bit.

Any suggestions of things to see in/near Chepstow? I've found Chepstow and Caldicot castles, Chepstow museum and Tintern Abbey. The racecourse is of NO interest (unless there's a market there, lol!).

does anyone have any opinions on any of these places? Advice much appreciated!

I don't the area, but having had my hips replaced (one twice!!!) I do know. Stairs might be a problem and despite your OH railing against it, make sure he has either elbow crutches or walking stick. Don't try and walk too far either - take lots of little stops and rests. Sitting down might be a problem if the chair/settee is very low, he may need help to rise again and don't let him tell you he can manage - he risks dislocation!!!

Don't know what analgesics have been prescribed, but make sure he has an adequate supply.

Enjoy your holiday Debs darlin'
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 11:32 AM

Hi Debs there is quite a bit to see nearby in the Forest of Dene , Clearwell Caves, Puzzle Wood and the sculpture walk through the forest .

Are hills a problem? Also Symonds Yat by the river which is flat
Have a lovely time
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 11:48 AM

walking is not a problem now - he can do about a mile without crutches before he needs a bit of a rest. Hills and slopes make his thigh and hip ache, so we try to keep to the flat.

We know the Wye valley area well as we live in the Golden Valley, which is between Hereford, Monmouth and Hay-on-Wye.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
walking is not a problem now - he can do about a mile without crutches before he needs a bit of a rest. Hills and slopes make his thigh and hip ache, so we try to keep to the flat.

We know the Wye valley area well as we live in the Golden Valley, which is between Hereford, Monmouth and Hay-on-Wye.
Lucky you Deb it is beautiful there.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top