Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 03:53 PM

Re: Doesn't The Highway Code Apply To Cyclists?

What about Motorcyclists, Car drivers have a right to get ragged off with some of the antics the maniac few pull on the road, but once again, when sitting in a traffic jam, I watch the expressions of indignation on the fellow drivers faces when a motorcyclist sails, seamlessly down the outside of the traffic queue, tucking neatly in at the front, fair play, that’s one of the reasons why the machine is purchased in the first place.
It all seems to come down to the fact that Car drivers don’t like being restricted.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Sorry but do you always stop on Amber or do you put your foot down to get through before they turn red? Amber means stop (unless unsafe to do so)

How many cyclists get booked for speeding? Don't the speed limits apply to motorists? It doesn't appear to judging by the number that get fined.

Absurd 'holier than thou' argument because of one road user.
.........and an absurd comment from you Bruce (for a change). Just because many people break the law doesn't mean it's right to do so. Just for the record I do stick to the highway code.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
The reason the Highway Code doesn't apply to cyclists is because they don't carry a driving license.
But it does apply to them, it applies to all road users and that includes pedestrians.

Many things are advisory..but those that state MUST is LAW.

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclist...rview-59-to-71

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129.

Rule 64 is the most flouted around where I live.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129.

Rule 64 is the most flouted around where I live.
Round here too, Pats, it really annoys me. A well maintained bicycle is almost silent so they are upon you before you have time move out of their way and if you say anything to them you just hear a mouthful of abuse.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Round here too, Pats, it really annoys me. A well maintained bicycle is almost silent so they are upon you before you have time move out of their way and if you say anything to them you just hear a mouthful of abuse.
In Kingston cyclists charge through the pedestrian precinct with no regards for anyone else. Mind you the mounted cops ride their horses through as well , and leave steaming dollops of doo dah for people to pick their way around. Don't know which is worse.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 10:00 PM

The cops or the horses?
joerocket
New Member!
United Kingdom
joerocket is male 

01-08-2014, 10:36 PM

when he gets knocked off he will want to sue,moron
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 03:34 AM

The Highway Code is not LAW, but is a courtesy code of use of the road, which applies to all users, be they cyclists or motor driven users from cars to juggernauts. However, to be honest, I haven't read the current Highway Code for many years, but it adheres to common sense and common courtesy on the roads.

A red light means stop, even to cyclists and, if they flount that regulation and get hit by a motorist, then it's their own fault, just as it would be for a motorist riding through a red light.

On approach to traffic lights a motorist is meant to gear down and slow down to third on the assumption of the lights turning to amber so that they have time to stop on red. The same applies when approaching a zebra crossing. That's what I do anyway as that's the way I was taught by my driving instructor.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Seems to me that the highway code is only used for passing the driving test..to be completely forgotten afterwards..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
The Highway Code is not LAW, but is a courtesy code of use of the road, which applies to all users, be they cyclists or motor driven users from cars to juggernauts. .
I never knew that, Mollie, I always thought it was law. You learn something new everyday

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top