Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 01:57 PM

As we age, is it fair to have pets?

I cannot imagine my life without pets. I have always had a dog or a cat. Right now I have 4 cats and 4 dogs. The oldest animal is 8.. my cat Bella. The rest are around 4 years old with the baby, murphy just turning 1 year.

I was thinking the other day.. I am 65 years old.. I have thought that I would allow this last group of animals thin through attrition and not replace them as they leave me. Then I thought, I could live 20 more years and being without an animal in my old age would be lonely and impossible. They are my family as I don't really have an extended family any longer. Is it fair to adopt an animal from a shelter only to give it a home for a few years? Only to have it thrown back in the shelter? Morbid thought I know.. but you hear stories of poor animals pining away for an owner who passes. Is that fair? Morbid thinking perhaps, but prompted by the "Living alone" thread in another section.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 02:04 PM

Re: As we age, is it fair to have pets?

Audrey I had similar thoughts when I got my cat, I had to think about what would happen to her if I suddenly passed away, not necessarily from old age. I don't really have family who would look after her as they have dogs so I signed a Guardian form and added the details to my will so that the Cat's Protection society would find her a good home should they need to, the fact I left them a substantial donation in my will and that my solicitor will oversee all the details gives me peace of mind
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 02:05 PM

My cat is 17 now and I have already decided that she would be my last pet.

However for those people who feel the need to have a pet in their lives when they are older, I would suggest adopting an oldie from a Rescue. They are usually the ones that are overlooked by folks, not the poor animals fault, they have probably lost their previous owner through death and would welcome the love and attention of a new owner.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 02:08 PM

We have decided to just make sure whatever dogs we have are rehomable should the worst happen. Previously we took on some damaged dogs who really were not pet material, either illness or behaviour wise. But now we take on happy and hopefully healthy dogs that could be taken on by another family. I can't imagine us not having dogs, just we are careful what we now take on.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 04:06 PM

After I am sixty I won't get another pup . There are plenty of oldies that need good homes . I always make sure any animal I have would be able to be rehomed if I died . They are sociable , well trained and of course vaccinated , spayed etc . I also have it in my will that any animal I have when I die is to be looked after or rehomed .
I had two old cats and when one of them died two years ago I rehomed an oldie that I saw in a rescue . This has been very successful and any other cats I get from now on will also be oldies .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 04:34 PM

I think if you are providing a loving home it cant be wrong to have a pet, but perhaps as suggested an older pet possibly from a shelter.
gentlydoesit
New Member!
uk
gentlydoesit is male 

17-06-2014, 04:58 PM

I decided against having another dog because no matter whether it was me or the dog that died first, the one still alive would be pretty much devastated. The only alternative would be a suicide pact and I'm not sure how I'd stand legally on that.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 05:08 PM

I was thinking, now I'm 60 I won't replace my pets, my dog is 13, one cat is 9 the other 4. But, then I see an elderly chap in his 80s walking his little Westie and I know his wife has dementia, he always seems so happy to be out with his little friend, could be the only break he has during the day to get out and get exercise and meet people.
I know the RSPCA have a home for life scheme, I would look into that if I need to.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 05:28 PM

There was a similar thread on Breedia that you might find interesting Audrey:

Cut off age for owning a puppy?
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

17-06-2014, 06:43 PM

I think the idea that several of you have mentioned, giving a home to an older animal, is a really good one. I am still young enough, I think, to home a younger animal, but honestly, when my lovely old dog passes , I don't think I would want a puppy.

I have an elderly neighbour, she is 88, she just loves animals but is on crutches or a zimmer, and aside from the age factor, it's dangerous for her to have pets under her feet, so she has budgies, and I go round with my dog who loves her (she gives him cake.) Bad for him but I let her do it, just a bit, as it gives her such pleasure.

If you are young enough to have a dog and know older people who love them, going round for a pet visit is a good idea, too!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top