Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Re: Can dogs see things we dont?

A dog's sense of smell forms a greater part of their communication set-up than their eyes. Just as we can see things and form an opinion, they can smell things and form an opinion similarly.

Their smell is 100,000 times more powerful than ours - just as we can pick up on moods via body language, can they pick up on things via hormones and other chemicals we release?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 01:35 PM

You gotta feel sorry for the poor little mites .......
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 02:06 PM

Thanks Honey for the link it made interesting reading along with the comment that were with the links .I did know their sense of smell was stronger than ours ,that has been proved.i wasnt sure about the other.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Thanks Honey for the link it made interesting reading along with the comment that were with the links .I did know their sense of smell was stronger than ours ,that has been proved.i wasnt sure about the other.
Why should they be any different to us, they sense things, just as we do, they are intuitive, just as we are ....
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 02:15 PM

"The frequency range of dog hearing is approximately 40 Hz to 60,000 Hz, which means that dogs can detect sounds far beyond the upper limit of the human auditory spectrum. Additionally, dogs have ear mobility which allows them to rapidly pinpoint the exact location of a sound. Eighteen or more muscles can tilt, rotate, raise, or lower a dog's ear. A dog can identify a sound's location much faster than a human can, as well as hear sounds at four times the distance."

Summing up, their senses are more acute than humans
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 02:36 PM

Our family alsation used to stare at the carpet, ears pricked, as if he was watching something. We (or I) couldn't see a thing!
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Yes... SOME dogs can. I had a little Sheltie named Dylan when my husband passed away. There were times that Dylan would NOT go into the kitchen but would stand at the door looking at the kitchen table and growling with the hair standing up on his back. Then there were times he was so afraid of what ever or who ever he saw in the kitchen he would crouch down and cry. One time, while I was asleep, shortly after hubby died, Dylan jumped off the bed like he was frightened.. I tried to hold him and keep him in bed with me, but he was impossible to hold. Hubby never allowed Dylan in our bed. Sometimes Dylan would sit up straight... look off into a corner and perk up his ears and stare. He was the only dog I have ever had that was like that. He was very atuned to the unseen. All my other dogs before and since have not been.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 02:38 PM

it's kinda spooky isn't it Jazzi? if only we had such acute senses
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 03:50 PM

It's not just dogs..cats too are very special..

I rescued a kitten..called him spike..he was a tad independent..

I was in bed with bronchitis..he used to get through the cat flap..come upstairs and lie on my chest..purring..I could feel his purrs going through my body and the warmth of his body on my chest..

I believe he was trying to heal me..
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

28-06-2014, 03:54 PM

I'd say you were right, I've had both cats and dogs over the years and they've all been intuitive and special in their own ways

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top