Join for free
Page 151 of 1676 « First < 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 201 251 651 1151 > Last »
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 09:09 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Mey DYAH Jem-you appear to hev forgotten;leathery,knackered,stretch-proof skin is EARNED,not AWARDED! Be PROUD of your flakey,dry lack of elasticity,m'dyah chep...after all,name me ONE accountant or bank cleric who can boast of the same...hmm? NO,sirrah-your well-earned covering of hippo hide has to be EARNED,in the fashion of a TRUE MAN,as you battle elements,DERIDE gamma rays,IGNORE torrential rainfall and LAUGH at windstorms! For is it not said,"He who is without blemish,hath not truly lived"! Hmm? [and if it isn't-it bloody well should be...or I'll flounce!]
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 11:11 PM

Hello Pug and the seasons greeting to you and the family.
I like my springy skin old chap, methinks “He who is without blemish” is one who sat at a bench all his life, you wanna see me legs, pure as the driven snow, no hair to speak of, no bumps, or various veins (as me old mate used to call them, his name was Dermot and he knew all about Dermotology, and Testicology too) Yes my dear Pug, these pins was hidden beneath a wooden bench for more years than I care to remember, it ain’t my blempt if me skin doesn’t resemble that on a Rhino’s arse.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 11:29 PM

I once had a boss with the name of Iain Hill, a formidable giant of a man with eyes as black as his heart, a thick black beard, arms that hung down to his knees a voice somewhere off the Richter scale and possessed of a vile temper . He had an encyclopaedic vocabulary of swear words, an armoury of put downs & insults & struck terror into the hearts and minds of all those who incurred his displeasure, most people in fact.
I liked him a lot. He was the kind of man who had been everywhere, done everything and if he hadn’t knew someone who had. He arranged for a group of his managers & me to visit a paint factory in Bradford about 1972. The factory was a favourite workplace for newly arrived Asian immigrants. It was impossible to discern the race of all the shopfloor workers due to the air being thick with Titanium Carbide dust, the main ingredient of cheap paint in the woodchip years. The white dust, these days a Health & Safety no no, plastered the faces of the workers. Yeuk..

More tomorrow
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 08:39 AM

My work involves see people who appear on a list with initialised first names, today I have to see P Stain and B Day.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 02:26 PM

We had a girl in the workshop called Ursula Ryan and I had to hand her her wage packet every Friday night, U. Ryan was written on it.
There was always something gratifying about getting a wage packet at the end of a hard weeks work, the crisp new fivers and pound notes felt good, and each note had it’s value in gold in the bank to back it up, now folks don’t even see their wages anymore and are paid in money that doesn’t exist, progress me arse.

Looking forward to more of that RJ.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 04:59 PM

............continued from yesterday

I should mention at this point that Iain Hill is not his real name, but HE was very real. I once had a difference of opinion with a sales manager for Sharpes greeting cards who was trying to get me to give him 4 extra feet of rackspace at the expense of 4 feet less for HALLMARK cards
“Sorry Dennis” I said
He quickly brushed me aside & headed off to Iain Hill’s office “I’m going over your head,Bob”
Iain Hill was just at that moment throwing out another sales manager for not supplying some gonks (all the rage then) in time for a sale period.
“Don’t ever darken my fukcing doorway you siht shovelling , snotty nosed,asre crawling , lying, son of a bicht etc etc” I saw the rep just before he became an endangered species, walking backwards out of the store.
“Next” he fixed his eyes, now looking a lot like blood shot boiled sweets in Mr Sharpes cards direction.
“How can I help you? Got any Gonks? Iain picked up his cup of tea, long since gone cold & from his hip flask livened it up with a shot of brandy
“Join us for lunch”..Iain and Mr Sharpe & his rep Claude Bailey (a good friend of mine, actually) sauntered out the main door to the pub opposite , returning arm in arm, plastered and with a deal to increase the rack from 4 to 12 feet.
Iain could be easily swayed when inebriated.

Tomorrow I’ll tell you about the container of typewriters he bought , more gonks and the scented dolls which were so old the scent had dried up
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-12-2016, 07:04 PM

Great read RJ, well written too. I love your style.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-12-2016, 07:49 PM

I was strolling through town today all on me own, the wife and me make strange shopping fellows so we avoid shopping together as much as possible. I love the little antique shops in the side streets off the quays and know a lot of the dealers there, they don’t like to see me coming at any time never mind their busiest time, they know they can’t pull a fast one on me, I’ll pare the price down to the bone.(there’s that word ‘Pare’ again, knew it would come in handy sometime).
Some of the older members here may remember that i once bought the wife a new purple kettle for Christmas to match other stuff she got in her kitchen, I haven’t lived down the slagging I got for that from the females yet, so I’m cautious and brave by telling this.
I put me eye on an old porcelain Chinese rolling pin in the willow pattern, a lovely looking thing in my opinion and would look smashing in any kitchen. I was 19th century (to match her age?, sorry only messing, she’s only a year older that me) and his asking price was 150 euros but after 15 minutes enjoyable haggling I managed to pare him down to 70 euros, he even gift wrapped it for me. I’ll be giving it to the wife as an extra present this year and i hope she likes it, she always enjoyed doing a lot of baking but whether she uses it or just hangs it up is up to herself. might bring back happy memories to her of clobbering me for coming home late three sheets in the wind, by God she’s a tough old bird and it’s even tougher to know what she likes.

Did any of you fella’s ever get a belt of a rolling pin?, i have many times in my younger married life, all my own fault I might add and truely deserved. I was lucky that I was in no state to feel pain at the time so I can’t really say what it felt like, all I know is that the next morning me shoulders would be black and blue and aching, but it was off to work with me and nothing said about it, until I got home knackered an only fit for bed. Why is it that they only attack when you are at your lowest ebb? Drained and defenceless I stand like a guilty murderer in the dock “Yes dear, I know dear, I’m sorry dear, you are right as always dear, never again dear, yes I promise…” All the stuff we endure just to have a long and happy marriage.
Of course nowadays if a fella was hit by a rolling pin he’d run off crying to the police and have her arrested, end of relationship, no stamina these young bucks of today. I maintain she doesn’t really love you unless she’s hit you with her rolling pin, it’s a sort of knighthood in the mating game and I’m proud to have been knighted several times, arise Sir Jem and take your place amongst the other battered rolling pin veterans.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-12-2016, 07:51 PM

We're all packed and ready for an early train tomorrow, off to Killarney for the holiday.
A very happy Christmas to you all, see you when I get back, cheers.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 08:04 PM

In and by comparison
my life has been devoid.
No boss's rants,no uppity salesmen,
just the odd 'bundle' when annoyed.

108 countries have known my tread,
of those,just 32 were worth seeing.
Although,truth be told,I could whittle to 6
countries with a sense of well-being.

Then,shiv away more,
to get to the core,
get to the reason for joy;
and when I do,it's sad but it's true...
I was in those countries 'when I wurb't a boy'.

Coz there's something that happens
around puberty time,
that clamps a hold on ''cor,it's nice!''.
...and instead of just saying
"Wow-I like it here!"
Conversations start with
"What's the price?"

Now,I haven't a receptacle to p1ss in.
To say the least,I'm short on 'ker-ching'.
But I know what I like and I like what I know.
Playing guitar is free-and that's my 'thing'.

I've played guitar in countries I can't properly pronounce;
having fun making music,not tears.
With people of all preferences,persuasions and types,
United by music,not fear.

All-in-all,I can say,as evening draws nigh
and life's sunset looks on,unforgiving;
I forget time in uniform spent facing all odds,
it's making music that makes my life worth living.

Page 151 of 1676 « First < 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 201 251 651 1151 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top