Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:22 AM

Phobia

After seeing LD''s thread about a toad yesterday it reminded me of a friend who has a genuine phobia of them (and frogs and lizards). If she saw one she would quite literally run a mile screaming in the opposite direction. Even a picture of one brings her out in goosebumps and causes nausea!

I'm not comfortable with heights but I don't avoid them or panic, scream or go rigid when dealing with them.

Does anyone here have a genuine phobia?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:26 AM

Re: Phobia

Funny you should say that Rhian, a lady I know is the same, terrified of frogs and toads.
I have a huge one over a foot big, who sits at my front door, and she doesn't like walking past it even though she knows it is not real.

I don't like wasps, big spiders, rats or heights. I think probably the heights would bother me most though.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:36 AM

My mother had a phobia of frogs and if there was one in the garden she would refuse to go out.

Mine is moths in the bedroom. I know it is ridiculous, if a butterfly comes in, then I can scoop it up with my hands and release it, but a moth - no way. I certainly cant go to bed if there is one in the room. It was alright when I had someone else in the house to get it out, now, I just panic.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:36 AM

Since I became allergic to things I'm a bit phobic about eating anything I've not made. I don't like causing offence but it's amazing how many people try to force feed a person if they say no thank you. That causes me to react by screaming and running away.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I certainly cant go to bed if there is one in the room. It was alright when I had someone else in the house to get it out, now, I just panic.
Aww CeeCee that must be awful.
II think of them as dull butterflies but my ex hated them with a vengeance
One of the best ways of removing them from a room is to switch the light off and switch one on elsewhere (like the landing or hallway). Then close the door on the b****** once they've gone!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

16-08-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Since I became allergic to things I'm a bit phobic about eating anything I've not made. I don't like causing offence but it's amazing how many people try to force feed a person if they say no thank you. That causes me to react by screaming and running away.
I know exactly what you're saying Julie. One sure fire way of being "made" to eat something is to politely refuse it.
Couldn't you just say you're allergic to one if the ingredients from the off, even if you aren't?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:50 AM

I used to be very phobic about rats and mice, but it isn't quite as bad these days.

I have developed another phobia over the last few years, which is a real nuisance; I am trying with great difficulty to overcome it.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

16-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have developed another phobia over the last few years, which is a real nuisance; I am trying with great difficulty to overcome it.
Ooh! Can we be told what that phobia is?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I used to be very phobic about rats and mice, but it isn't quite as bad these days.

Which is?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Which is?
Which is what everyone else is wondering.
It's probably answering questions on here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top