Join for free
Page 4 of 23 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 09:54 PM

Re: NHS Malaise

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I found when working for the NHS the waste of money was down to the management. Each department had an annual budget and come the end of the financial year if a department had a remaining surplus then it would be spent on unnecessary (IMO) things. This was done because if the department had a remaining budget, then the following year's budget would be reduced. I once saw the Works department laying turf on top if existing turf in the grounds. This was about fifteen years ago, maybe things have changed, but somehow doubt it.
Well then the problem appears to be that they should allow the departments to carry forward their surplus rather than penalising them for being efficient! This appears to be the solution.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I found when working for the NHS the waste of money was down to the management. Each department had an annual budget and come the end of the financial year if a department had a remaining surplus then it would be spent on unnecessary (IMO) things. This was done because if the department had a remaining budget, then the following year's budget would be reduced. I once saw the Works department laying turf on top if existing turf in the grounds. This was about fifteen years ago, maybe things have changed, but somehow doubt it.

And you wonder why people suggest it should be run more like a private business......there is no accountability for bad management!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I just had another look at that data and I can see where the graphic is misrepresenting the actual numbers. The values in the graph show total numbers. So of course most of the staff are nurses. But the actual change is 281,064 FTEs in 2010 to 286,020 FTEs in 2017. Which is an increase of 4,956 actual staff in post.

A large chunk of those if you dig deeper are likely to be health visitors because David Cameron pledged to increase health visitors in his call to action in 2011. The planned increase over the years to 2015 was funnily enough 4,200 :

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ation-plan.pdf

The reports show that the NHS is short of 42,000 nurses.
Annie......you're doing it again......making facts fit your prejudice!!

The NHS has increased staff each year for the past 7 years and is better funded now than ever in it's history.

More money and more staff is NOT the whole answer.
Better use of of existing assets, personnel and better strategic planning.

Every area in which the NHS is failing miserably at present.

We need a new Health service for the modern age. The existing service is busted beyond redemption!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Annie......you're doing it again......making facts fit your prejudice!!

The NHS has increased staff each year for the past 7 years and is better funded now than ever in it's history.

More money and more staff is NOT the whole answer.
Better use of of existing assets, personnel and better strategic planning.

Every area in which the NHS is failing miserably at present.

We need a new Health service for the modern age. The existing service is busted beyond redemption!

It's you who is guilty of making facts fit your prejudice. If you check the figures you will see that 4,000 nurses vs 42,000 vacancies is a drop in the ocean. The vacancies are not being filled where the need is greatest. So some areas are massively understaffed. It's the same with GP surgeries. They have had to go abroad to recruit because GPs do not want to work in certain areas and with certain populations. In the case of nursing they simply cannot afford to live in some areas such as London.

The problem has been created by the all the meddling of the governments over the years. It was working fine until the coalition decided to meddle. "Strategic" planning is what has caused this mess.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-01-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
And you wonder why people suggest it should be run more like a private business......there is no accountability for bad management!
Because of course all private company management is good...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 10:18 PM

Seems to me we do need a real change within the NHS but without party politics involved. As I've said many times procurement is my annoyance, that's to do with bad management too.

Hospitals shouldn't be rivals they should be working together to provide a service we can be proud of.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Many many nurses retired in 2016. As did many GPs. My GP surgery is very good but the doctors have far more grey hairs than they used to and are far more stressed. Hopefully the reshuffle will make some positive changes.

My GP's have been advertising for another doctor for over a year now.
Now they need a replacement nurse, and also a receptionist too, and no one is filling these posts.
This sort of thing all contributes to why it is so difficult to get an appointment now. The doctors can only see so many in a day.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-01-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Seems to me we do need a real change within the NHS but without party politics involved. As I've said many times procurement is my annoyance, that's to do with bad management too.

Hospitals shouldn't be rivals they should be working together to provide a service we can be proud of.
So what would you do to remedy the recruitment crisis?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 11:17 PM

Anticipating vacancies would be a good start.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 11:25 PM

There are no older doctors in my surgery they all look like sixth formers.
It has lots of in house nurses too two of these are Chinese . One told me he loved the Uk and him and his wife had been here for 12 years and have no plans to leave.

Page 4 of 23 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top