Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Pension Options

OK guys can I have your thoughts on this please. As you know I will be retiring in a few months time. I am 6 years off drawing the state pension under the current legislation so will be managing on 4 employer pension funds of varying amounts the one with my current employer being by far the biggest. I will be drawing the 25% tax free lump sum from this fund but am undecided whether to draw lump sums from the other 3 schemes or not. If I take all the lump sums I will obviously have a much larger sum in the bank tax free which I could use to top up my monthly pension amounts. Or would it be better not to take these and have a higher guaranteed amount paid each month albeit it subject to tax.

I have the services of an IFA paid for by my company and will ask him as well for advice but would be very interested to get your thoughts as well as many of you will have gone down this route already.

Thanks
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 03:09 PM

Re: Pension Options

I took the 25% from the three I've taken. I've put the cash into cash ISA's and then put it at £300 a month into an Equity ISA into monthly income funds which I'm reinvesting
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 10:30 PM

I think it depends on quite a few personal things as to what would be the best thing to do Doglover. Things like -
- Do you have to buy annuities with the three other pensions
- Are you healthy and likely to live a long time.
- Will the other three pensions/annuities be index linked
- Can you manage to live OK on the reduced pensions if you take 25%
- Could you do with the 25% from the three pensions for a large purchase.
- Do you have to decide when you retire, or can you wait a while. They might accumulate a bit more and terms could be better if you leave them to grow a bit more and decide what's best when you draw your o.a.p.

I don't think it would be wise for anyone to give an opinion. Best person is probably your financial adviser. When I retired I had a three day retirement event provided by my employer which covered a lot of retirement issues and they also provided access to a financial adviser f.o.c. Hopefully you have something similar.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 03:49 PM

Thanks Ron and Rena for your comments. As you say Rena there is a lot to think about and I shall be talking to my IFA in a month or two.
Charliefarley
New Member!
United Kingdom
Charliefarley is male 

13-03-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
OK guys can I have your thoughts on this please. As you know I will be retiring in a few months time. I am 6 years off drawing the state pension under the current legislation so will be managing on 4 employer pension funds of varying amounts the one with my current employer being by far the biggest. I will be drawing the 25% tax free lump sum from this fund but am undecided whether to draw lump sums from the other 3 schemes or not. If I take all the lump sums I will obviously have a much larger sum in the bank tax free which I could use to top up my monthly pension amounts. Or would it be better not to take these and have a higher guaranteed amount paid each month albeit it subject to tax.

I have the services of an IFA paid for by my company and will ask him as well for advice but would be very interested to get your thoughts as well as many of you will have gone down this route already.

Thanks
Hi
Taking the maximum tax free cash is not always the best option believe it or not. It can depend upon the commutation rate, in other words how much the tax free cash affects your pension income. In many cases pension schemes are tripping over themselves for you to take the maximum available because they will in all probability have to pay you less in pension. If you do not have a defined benefit pension then commutation will not apply. The issue of your income will depend largely on how much income you need, your health, if you are anywhere near the higher rate tax bracket and other circumstances.
There are many options at retirement and a financial adviser should help guide you through basing their advice on your individual circumstances. My personal view would be to use someone independent and who uses the whole of the market, I say this as an IFA. You mentioned that you already have an adviser but please feel free to contact me if you wish. This message is not financial advice as any advice would depend upon your individual circumstances and other factors.
Hope this helps and I hope that you enjoy your retirement
Charlie
The Dog Lover
Watford

14-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Charliefarley ->
Hi
Taking the maximum tax free cash is not always the best option believe it or not. It can depend upon the commutation rate, in other words how much the tax free cash affects your pension income. In many cases pension schemes are tripping over themselves for you to take the maximum available because they will in all probability have to pay you less in pension. If you do not have a defined benefit pension then commutation will not apply. The issue of your income will depend largely on how much income you need, your health, if you are anywhere near the higher rate tax bracket and other circumstances.
There are many options at retirement and a financial adviser should help guide you through basing their advice on your individual circumstances. My personal view would be to use someone independent and who uses the whole of the market, I say this as an IFA. You mentioned that you already have an adviser but please feel free to contact me if you wish. This message is not financial advice as any advice would depend upon your individual circumstances and other factors.
Hope this helps and I hope that you enjoy your retirement
Charlie
Thanks for your thoughts Charlie and as you say I have an excellent IFA who uses an independant annuity company who can canvass the whole market to get me the best quote for my annuity. I have been advised to take lump sums on the money purchase schemes but not on the final salary schemes so thats what I'm going to do. Currently trying to get a retirement pack from Friends Life which is like trying to get blood out of a stone. Their customer service is appalling but I will keep on at them.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 11:24 AM

Take what tax free money you can. It makes no sense at all to pay tax on any money if you don't have to.

Incidentally, don't be surprised if you receive 40 or 50 different tax codes in the first year when you stop work and when you first officially retire.

I received 48 different tax codes during the first year of my retirement; one for each pension provider, which means the tax office sent me 16 different assessments. They're not fit for purpose, so keep checking their figures.
The Dog Lover
Watford

14-03-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Take what tax free money you can. It makes no sense at all to pay tax on any money if you don't have to.

Incidentally, don't be surprised if you receive 40 or 50 different tax codes in the first year when you stop work and when you first officially retire.

I received 48 different tax codes during the first year of my retirement; one for each pension provider, which means the tax office sent me 16 different assessments. They're not fit for purpose, so keep checking their figures.
The tax is the one thing that bothers me because I am curently paying 40% and don't want to be paying that on my pension. I hope it all gets sorted quickly.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Don't hold your breath Dog Lover.

They drove me up the wall in the first year - the rows I had.

The one good thing is that they repaid me my overpaid tax at the end of the year - but it was a slog.
The Dog Lover
Watford

14-03-2013, 11:50 AM

Thanks for that. At least I have plenty in savings to tide me over until everything is sorted. Only 2 months to go now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top