Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Re: Spiders

O.K. ST, thanks. Time to go conkering me thinks.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 04:02 PM

Spiders are so useful, not only do they catch flies but they show that you have a dry house. I don't mind mice either which I think has been a cause of disappointment to those expecting a show - leave them where they are unless they are in the way then use a yellow duster to pick them up and show them the door.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=Jem;525770]
Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I had one a week ago run along the floor. Quite big. Sprayed around the area (he disappeared behind my stereo) then I saw him go up the curtain. One whack with a fly sway, sorted!

You killed it!, how could you be so cruel Jazzi, the poor chap probably had a large family waiting for daddy to come home with the grub, by killing him you probably wiped out all his dependants, don't come complaining when all the flies start annoying yeh in next weeks hot weather.
Ahem! My home, my rules!!

To all you people who cry out how cruel etc., you have to understand what being an arachnophobe means!! So cut us some slack, yeah?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 04:45 PM

These are the worst kind here, foreign invaders.
I do kill these, they can bite & can make you very ill, as next door found out.
False Widow.

I put any other spider outside.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 06:27 PM

Wow - those are huge! I have heard about them but, so far, never met one.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Wow - those are huge! I have heard about them but, so far, never met one.
Not that big really, but big enough, the smaller one is the male, large one the female. unfortunately when I saw those particular spiders I had no idea what they were & left them be. They bred & we had a nest of tiny spiderlings that spread all over the sun lounge. I killed as many as I could find, reluctantly because I hate killing creatures, but too dodgey to let them all grow up.
I still find the odd one, but at least they aren't that big a problem as they would have been if left alone.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=Jazzi;527063]
Originally Posted by Jem ->

Ahem! My home, my rules!!

To all you people who cry out how cruel etc., you have to understand what being an arachnophobe means!! So cut us some slack, yeah?
Oh I didn’t know you had a dread of spiders Jazzi, my apologies. I have a fear of snails and all things slimy, whatever that’s called, I gently lift the snails off the wall with the fire tongs and put them in the bin, let the council finish them off.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2014, 03:18 AM

I truly do believe how folk have a phobia against certain creatures, honestly I do, as I have suffered something similar in the past with daddy long-legs. Oooh, they terrified me , until I overcome my fear of them.

However, having overcome that fear, I do now ask how can anyone be terrified of something that can not harm them? That's how I cured my phobia.

It's an untreated psychological fear of something which can not possibily harm and is probably due to a childhood experience.

Look at it this way. As a big human creature, you could end the life of that insect in a second because you're so much bigger and stronger than they are. They are fragile and are no match for you, so what is there to fear? Why be afraid of that which cannot harm you?

I'm sure I've said this before recently on here.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2014, 03:28 AM

I know it seems illogical but we can't easily control our fears, on one occasion I was watching tv and something caught my eye on my fireplace rug, it was a HUGE spider unlike anything I've ever seen and it was running towards me!
I know it couldn't do me any harm but just to see it travel at the speed of light towards my feet nearly rendered me unconscious!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I know it seems illogical but we can't easily control our fears, on one occasion I was watching tv and something caught my eye on my fireplace rug, it was a HUGE spider unlike anything I've ever seen and it was running towards me!
I know it couldn't do me any harm but just to see it travel at the speed of light towards my feet nearly rendered me unconscious!

Exactly, Honey. They are fast, ugly and just have no place in my home. I couldn't go about my daily business or try to sleep if I knew one was still roaming about.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top