Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Re: Worm Casts

Our soil is very sandy as well so very light and easy to work, but the downside is that it doesn't hold moisture for long and we also get ants and chafer grubs in the lawn because it's easy for them to burrow in...
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 07:32 PM

We have loads of ants and the dreaded chafer grubs. How do you treat yours, Plantman? I was out earlier this year stamping on them, got quite a few but many got away!!
The worm casts are preferable to the grubs, I think!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
We have loads of ants and the dreaded chafer grubs. How do you treat yours, Plantman? I was out earlier this year stamping on them, got quite a few but many got away!!
The worm casts are preferable to the grubs, I think!
I don't treat them at all Jen, just keeping the lawn in good condition is about all you can do, and I spike and topdress every couple of years as well as a spring and summer weed and feed. The ants don't bother me that much because they don't actually damage the grass roots, but the chafer grubs are voracious. Luckily now our two dogs spend a couple of weeks eating the chafer beetles when they emerge in spring, they think it's great sport, so the numbers now are less yhan they used to be...
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 08:08 PM

I do weed and feed and scarify a little bit but don't topdress or spike, it's only 3years old but I think I'll get some bald patches with the grubs. I don't have a dog, unfortunately, might have to borrow one! The beetles were more this year than the last 2yrs . I'd never seen one 'til I moved into this house...
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 01:27 PM

Maybe it`s just me but years ago when I had allotments in Leeds I could be seen in the parkland sweeping up worm casts to put in my potting compost. Well I was just this looney Southerner
cranberry
Notts, UK

03-09-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Maybe it`s just me but years ago when I had allotments in Leeds I could be seen in the parkland sweeping up worm casts to put in my potting compost. Well I was just this looney Southerner
Yeah !!!! one of many...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top