Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 05:42 PM

Windows memory message

My elderly computer has just thrown a message alert ...... insufficient memory. Windows is doing something......sorry, can't remember what.

Should I check disk space to see what's going on?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 06:15 PM

Re: Windows memory message

do you know how much memory your pc has? if it's I MB or less you'll struggle especially if you're trying to open too many programmes at once
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 06:59 PM

I would think so with 1MB of memory, but I can tell you got your GBs and MBs mixed up.

It might have been a message about Windows Virtual Memory, which isn't memory in the conventional sense. It's a section of the hard drive reserved for swapping things that aren't being used out of RAM and temporarily onto the hard drive. If your hard drive is down to it's last couple of hundred MB of free space you need to free up some hard drive space by having a good clear-out of unwanted files and programs.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 07:45 PM

You could also go into accessories>system tools > disc defragmenter.
over a period of time the hard disc can get in a twist with bits of files in all different places. A defrag will sort out it's housekeeping put files in order clear out any rubbish and free up disc space. depending what version of Windows you might also have "disc clean up" which will isolate any problem areas of disc surface.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I would think so with 1MB of memory, but I can tell you got your GBs and MBs mixed up.

I had a blonde moment! I actually posted GB then changed it!
I need to lie down in a darkened room!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 10:08 PM

Same thing happened with my ancient laptap a few months ago .... message telling me that it would carry out a disc defragmentation ... it did and it cleared about 40 GB of space ... amazing considering that the laptop only has a 75 GB of memory.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 04:08 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/112676

Try that
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I ran CCleaner only a short while ago after posting on here for a what I should do to keep my computer healthy.
I appear to have only one drive (the last techie to "fix" my computer merged D into C as well as friending himself on my facebook page!) - which is System C which says it has 76.6 GB capacity, 49.2 of which is free.

If I need to free up some space, there are programs I no longer use, but someone once told me to delete with caution!
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks for all the replies. I ran CCleaner only a short while ago after posting on here for a what I should do to keep my computer healthy.
I appear to have only one drive (the last techie to "fix" my computer merged D into C as well as friending himself on my facebook page!) - which is System C which says it has 76.6 GB capacity, 49.2 of which is free.

If I need to free up some space, there are programs I no longer use, but someone once told me to delete with caution!
If you don't want anything you have down loaded should be no problem deleting them.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 05:34 PM

Well, 50 gig spare is pretty good on such a tiny hard drive, so I would rule out it being a Virtual Memory message you're getting. I wouldn't delete anything. The size of the hard drive and use of the words "elderly computer" suggest you might have a pretty basic computer with about 500MB of RAM, and if so adding more RAM would help a bit.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top