Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 10:39 AM

Re: Patriotic.

The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze ...

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

Dorothea Mackeller
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 04:52 PM

Just had to remind myself what patriotic means and whether I am or not and I read

"having or expressing devotion to and vigorous support for one's country."

I enjoy living here and wouldn't live elsewhere but "devoted to" or "vigorous support" absolutely not. We have a shameful history and even today we have recently been subjected to dreadful news out of Rotherham.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Well, the USA certainly has it's flaws... just ask ANY other country around the world... they'll be please as can be to point them out.

Like most Americans... I am aware of the faults and flaws of the United States.. but like most Americans.. I would prefer to have them stated by fellow Americans.. not foreigners.. Sound harsh? Well, isn't that how it is with most families? Families can argue and fight amongst themselves, but woe be to others who try to join in.

I think I am very patriotic. I get goose bumps and a lump in my throat when I see the Stars and Stripes and hear the Star Spangled Banner. But as I stated above, that in no way means I do not criticize the USA when I feel it warranted. That's because as great a country as we are, I want to be even better. Having the freedom to criticize is what is important. I don't believe that's being unpatriotic.. in fact I believe the opposite is true.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Well, the USA certainly has it's flaws... just ask ANY other country around the world... they'll be please as can be to point them out.

Like most Americans... I am aware of the faults and flaws of the United States.. but like most Americans.. I would prefer to have them stated by fellow Americans.. not foreigners.. Sound harsh? Well, isn't that how it is with most families? Families can argue and fight amongst themselves, but woe be to others who try to join in.

I think I am very patriotic. I get goose bumps and a lump in my throat when I see the Stars and Stripes and hear the Star Spangled Banner. But as I stated above, that in no way means I do not criticize the USA when I feel it warranted. That's because as great a country as we are, I want to be even better. Having the freedom to criticize is what is important. I don't believe that's being unpatriotic.. in fact I believe the opposite is true.
Good post Audrey, very well put and well said...
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 08:44 PM

I get goose bumps and a lump in my throat when I see the Stars and Stripes and hear the Star Spangled Banner.
Got to say it's SO much better than our God Save the Queen. Likewise the American Trilogy........think we should have one of those ourselves.

As far as saying things against the US........they have left themselves open a bit - well, a lot if I'm honest, but let he who is without sin etc etc
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Got to say it's SO much better than our God Save the Queen. Likewise the American Trilogy........think we should have one of those ourselves.

As far as saying things against the US........they have left themselves open a bit - well, a lot if I'm honest, but let he who is without sin etc etc
Yeah... well ya know what they say about stones and glass houses.. lol!!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 10:02 PM

Yeah... well ya know what they say about stones and glass houses.. lol!!
Steady on Audrey - that's too close to Bush announcing a war on anyone who finances terrorism!
AudreyII
USA

01-09-2014, 11:31 PM

I'll See you one Bush... and Raise you one Blair.....
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Has everything good about Great Britain gone down the spout? Would you get out if you could?
I wouldn't - even if I had the chance - other places might be better but they aren't home.
I am so patriotic - even seeing the white cliffs of Dover on my return from Belgium a couple of months ago - well I just filled up with emotion.

How patriotic are you?
Not at all, I'm afraid. I got so fed up with the way Britain was going that I left in 2009. And I feel very much at home here.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

02-09-2014, 08:14 AM

I'll See you one Bush... and Raise you one Blair.....
Very good!

The pair of them should be locked up! Then they could pray together again!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top