Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Re: Something To Think About

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Gabi you said ''Most emails are viral''
http://www.over50sforum.com/newreply...reply&p=523790
I was just correcting what appeared to be a misconception on your part.

None of this is really relevant to your initial post containing a viral email the content of which was not even written by the suggested author and as such to me it was not 'Something to think about' but something to be questioned and dismissed.
Meg maybe I should have said most of mine are viral, just passed along from person to person I do have many contacts.

You can only question and dismiss something you either hear or read when you've given it thought.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 08:03 AM

This was first published by a right wing blogger to try to justify the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Its more true to day than then.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 11:13 PM

Gabi I see you have edited your original post and removed the viral email that was the subject of this thread .
I don't think you have offended anyone.

A couple of weeks ago someone posted what many members considered to be posts with overt racist comments and many were angered by them. Some who complained about them crept away rather than challenge them.
Sometimes racism is more insidious and hidden in propaganda. I think it is important for people to challenge racism whatever form it takes and not to just ignore it or walk away..
Sorry, Meg, but I cannot let this post go unchallenged as it is far from the truth. A couple of past members repeatedly challenged the racist comments and finally left because the mods did notchallenge said posts.They did not "creep away" but left on a matter of principle.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Sorry, Meg, but I cannot let this post go unchallenged as it is far from the truth. A couple of past members repeatedly challenged the racist comments and finally left because the mods did notchallenge said posts.They did not "creep away" but left on a matter of principle.
Ania many of the alleged racist posts were challenged, would you like to indicate the ones which were not?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 11:33 PM

Ania many of the alleged racist posts were challenged, would you like to indicate the ones which were not?
Well as I now see that the entire thread has been removed and restarted (a bit to my annoyance) the 'evidence' has been removed. I don't recall any mods challenging the posts at the time. Would you like to indicate the posts that were challenged?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Well as I now see that the entire thread has been removed and restarted (a bit to my annoyance) the 'evidence' has been removed.
Ania I am not just talking about one thread but a number of threads that were posted around the same time which contained posts that some members considered to have a racist elements.
Some posts were challenged some removed .
Are you now complaining that some posts were removed, isn't that the action some members including yourself were asking for?

I don't recall any mods challenging the posts at the time. Would you like to indicate the posts that were challenged?
I challenge anything I see as having an element of racism by discussing the person's point of view and attitude as do the other Mods and many members here.

Here are some examples ...
.. this thread you are now posting in for a start..
and this...
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=18939
and this...
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=18930
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 12:22 AM

In all fairness Meg, looking back on those links, they were very unpleasant posts, and it was clear that quite a few members were annoyed at such offensive posts, and at one point the person was even accused of being a troll and told to "go and troll on another forum". So it was obvious members were unhappy about it. It made it worse because it wasn't a one-off comment, the posts went on, getting more aggressive all the time, and I think some members couldn't understand why Azz didn't step in and deal with it sooner.
Anyway, let's hope it doesn't start all over again.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

02-09-2014, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
In all fairness Meg, looking back on those links, they were very unpleasant posts, and it was clear that quite a few members were annoyed at such offensive posts, and at one point the person was even accused of being a troll and told to "go and troll on another forum". So it was obvious members were unhappy about it. It made it worse because it wasn't a one-off comment, the posts went on, getting more aggressive all the time, and I think some members couldn't understand why Azz didn't step in and deal with it sooner.
Anyway, let's hope it doesn't start all over again.
Mups if you wish to discuss the moderation of this site please use this thread

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=18931

thank you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2014, 09:38 AM

No, it's o.k. Meg, thankyou. just trying to explain what I think happened, and that's about it really. No more to say.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

02-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Ania I am not just talking about one thread but a number of threads that were posted around the same time which contained posts that some members considered to have a racist elements.
Some posts were challenged some removed .
Are you now complaining that some posts were removed, isn't that the action some members including yourself were asking for?

I challenge anything I see as having an element of racism by discussing the person's point of view and attitude as do the other Mods and many members here.

Here are some examples ...
.. this thread you are now posting in for a start..
and this...
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=18939
and this...
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=18930
Meg, I referred to a specific thread, all of which, apart from the OP, has now been removed. I do not come on here to argue, so we will have to agree to differ. But I did see red when you, a mod, implied a slur on former members when they are no longer here to defend themselves, something that we are repeatedly told is not allowed on this forum.

I have seen plenty of posts now that clearly show that I am not alone in my recollection of events.

I'll leave it there.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top