Join for free
Page 27 of 33 « First < 17 25 26 27 28 29 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Re: Is Democracy Dead?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
https://eutruth.org.uk/
Some of these statements seem a little exaggerated, and yet much of it rings true.

I can certainly well believe that many of our MPs and most of our senior judges could be corrupt. The evidence is there.

The important thing for us is that the country still has a legal constitution, based on democratic voting.

Unfortunately, as we have seen following the Brexit referendum, democracy is not respected by those in authority as evidenced by May and her cohorts doing all they can to reverse the referendum decision.

They will get away with it too, for one simple reason.

Many of the general public are of the 'couldn't care less' type. They either vote for the same party without thinking or don't even bother to vote at all.

If the electorate took more interest and considered their votes carefully, our corrupt politicians would either have to respect the wishes of their electors (democracy) or lose their seats.

The ideal would be to include senior judges and civil servants in being subject to elections by the people.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 09:58 AM

I'd just like to say that I have now added Solasch and Itsme to my 'red list'.

It is nothing personal, I promise. The problem is that I seem to have involved myself in rather more threads than usual and am trying to cut down on what I consider to be things that I earlier decided to participate in.

Whereas I have been particularly interested in discussions on politics and, specifically the EU and Brexit, many of these discussions have become boringly repetitive especially the predictable contributions from certain members.

I apologise if this statement is seen by some as offensive. No personal offence is intended.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 03:22 PM

No offence taken, assuming being on your red list means my posts make you see red, the colour that means "stop".
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
No offence taken, assuming being on your red list means my posts make you see red, the colour that means "stop".
He won't stop, still keep spouting "pie in the sky" rhetoric without any proof or substance.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2018, 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=JBR;155204.

Many of the general public are of the 'couldn't care less' type. They either vote for the same party without thinking or don't even bother to vote at all.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure which is worse, voting for a future you do not care about, or voting for a future that doesn't exist. Which of the two did you do?
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2018, 08:36 PM

When will the remainers realise that the decision to leave the EU is now enshrined in British law; it will happen.

No amount of shouting, gnashing of teeth, temper tantrums or dummy spitting will alter that fact.

What we have to now concentrate on is making sure Traitorous Teresa doesn't try to keep the UK tied to the EU in any way shape or form.

Mind, the dogmatic intransigence of the EU negotiators will inevitably lead to the UK trading on WTO rules - so here's hoping they keep it up.

If Traitorous Teresa does manage to 'get a deal' to put before Parliament, then it is down to our MPs to vote it out if it ties us to the EU, despite the Chancellor's blatant scaremongering threat in his budget.

So now is the time to start lobbying your Member of Parliament.

But then, that is another thread.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2018, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
I'm not sure which is worse, voting for a future you do not care about, or voting for a future that doesn't exist. Which of the two did you do?
And just what has that got to do with you?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-10-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
When will the remainers realise that the decision to leave the EU is now enshrined in British law; it will happen.

No amount of shouting, gnashing of teeth, temper tantrums or dummy spitting will alter that fact.

What we have to now concentrate on is making sure Traitorous Teresa doesn't try to keep the UK tied to the EU in any way shape or form.
Unfortunately, that is a distinct possibility.

May seems to be relying on Compo and the Loonies being far too ridiculous for anyone other than naive snowflakes and the most Marxist idiots to vote for.

However, May doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the box either, so I don't hold out any hopes for her making the sensible decision to honour the wishes of at least 17 million people.

If and when she does tie us to the EU empire, the Conservatives can look forward to losing many votes in the next GE.

One of three things could happen:

The Tories could scrape in but without a working majority, and we could have a situation of the Commons disagreeing on just about everything and very little being achieved.

Compo could scrape in, despite the perceived dangers. In such a case what happens next is anybody's guess, but I expect the usual Labour philosophy of 'borrow, borrow, borrow; spend, spend, spend', and we'll be back in financial straits and trade unions dictating to everyone for their own greedy benefit.

The other possibility could be the resurgence of UKIP. With a workable number of MPs, and especially if they are joined by Brexiteers of the other political parties, things might be reversed and our escape from the EU empire could still take place as voted for by the majority.

I know who I'll be voting for in the next GE, anyway.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

31-10-2018, 01:13 AM

And just what has that got to do with you?
If the question is too personal, or if you're ashamed about your choice, don't answer it.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

31-10-2018, 01:16 AM

If Traitorous Teresa does manage to 'get a deal' to put before Parliament, then it is down to our MPs to vote it out if it ties us to the EU, despite the Chancellor's blatant scaremongering threat in his budget.
Always good to have a scapegoat ready if the reality proves harder than wished for.

Page 27 of 33 « First < 17 25 26 27 28 29 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top