Join for free
Page 8 of 32 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 08:41 AM

Re: Flora,Fauna,Funghi 'n fings

I have often said I am a 'happy snapper' rather than a proper photographer - but - these two pictures found their way into a 'Wildlife trust' magazine. They were of interest for two reasons - one - this moth is not usually found this far North, and - two - I took the photo early in May and they do not usually appear until June/July. Our lovely Nom helped me to identify it.

Meet the Small Magpie Moth!

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 09:18 AM

One of my neighbours has a Spindleberry Bush - visited by the Spindle Ermine Moth. Didn't catch a photo of the moth - but her caterpillars appear in June and enshroud their bush with a silky web to protect their food sauce. Took these a couple of years back - they are busy little rascals - this web appeared over night!

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:52 PM

Lovely photo's, Silver Tabby.
The bushes covered in silk are amazing aren't they. Years ago we had several near our house too in a neighbours front garden.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have often said I am a 'happy snapper' rather than a proper photographer - but - these two pictures found their way into a 'Wildlife trust' magazine. They were of interest for two reasons - one - this moth is not usually found this far North, and - two - I took the photo early in May and they do not usually appear until June/July. Our lovely Nom helped me to identify it.

Meet the Small Magpie Moth!

Great photo Tabby- it seems the hot summer has moved a lot of resident species around. Makes it interesting to look closely at the insects around.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
One of my neighbours has a Spindleberry Bush - visited by the Spindle Ermine Moth. Didn't catch a photo of the moth - but her caterpillars appear in June and enshroud their bush with a silky web to protect their food sauce. Took these a couple of years back - they are busy little rascals - this web appeared over night!

Likewise I saw something like this that covered a great expanse of hedgerow, never saw anything predating the caterpillars either. Perhaps the cocoon had some predator repulse function.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

30-12-2018, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by toners ->
Likewise I saw something like this that covered a great expanse of hedgerow, never saw anything predating the caterpillars either. Perhaps the cocoon had some predator repulse function.
It certainly smells unpleasant! The moth lays her eggs in the ground around the bush, when the caterpillars hatch the first ones climb the bush and drop silky 'ropes' down for the rest to follow - it is fascinating to watch them. Then they they cover the bush in smelly silk shrouds which keeps out predators and protects their food. They stay under there until they turn into chrysalis's.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 11:25 PM

Baby Bluetit feeding on a Foxglove

I've named this scruffbag 'Haircut'.

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 11:51 PM

Should have been dinner tonight:

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

31-12-2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Baby Bluetit feeding on a Foxglove

I've named this scruffbag 'Haircut'.

Great photos Fogey - that second one looks like he's wearing a mask!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

31-12-2018, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Should have been dinner tonight:

I'd prefer Turkey!

Page 8 of 32 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top