Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Re: yet another microwave bites the dust

The one I bought has two simple dials that you turn rather than fancy digital controls. It seems the fancy ones with bells and whistles end up conking out faster.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Sorry to go off topic slightly but i think keeping things simple is best.
When I worked in printing as an engineer the company I worked for made a basic mechanical offset printing machines that hadn't changed much since WW2. There were some basic reoccurring mechanical faults which could have been redesigned but instead they then brought out a new range with circuit boards and all singing and dancing extras. Oh what fun we had trying to get them to work. We engineers used to carry three or four circuit boards just to get 1 to work.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 06:07 PM

i bought my daughter a Panasonic some 12 year ago for a wedding present and its still going strong now.
Samsung sensor 800wt is what i have and thats 3 yr old now .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Sorry to go off topic slightly but i think keeping things simple is best.
When I worked in printing as an engineer the company I worked for made a basic mechanical offset printing machines that hadn't changed much since WW2. There were some basic reoccurring mechanical faults which could have been redesigned but instead they then brought out a new range with circuit boards and all singing and dancing extras. Oh what fun we had trying to get them to work. We engineers used to carry three or four circuit boards just to get 1 to work.
I agree it's a marketing gimmick called "extending the product life cycle" or "adding value". If people can build added complications into the design then it guarantees some people endless employment (or endless headaches) in fixing them. It seems that some areas of design are just basically left to be out of control. So now I have a washing machine that beeps at me and I have to press digital (touchscreen) buttons to select part of the programme. I've only had it since Feb and already when you close the door it refuses to switch on until you have pressed it closed harder.

I had this idea that it would be good to have a business selling simple stuff. All the gimmicks will fall over and bite people the way we are going....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

08-09-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
i bought my daughter a Panasonic some 12 year ago for a wedding present and its still going strong now.
Samsung sensor 800wt is what i have and thats 3 yr old now .
I didn't see any panasonics. We have 2 panasonic widescreen TVs and they have been going for years and are fabulous. I just looked them up. It's a Japanese company that was originally founded in 1918. Amazing.

I thought I was safe with a bosch washing machine, but it's all touchscreen nightmarishness.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

08-09-2017, 06:48 PM

I just looked up Morphy Richards on wiki a good old British company, but the last bit is a bit sad ..... "Morphy Richards is a brand of electrical appliances, headquartered in the Swinton Meadows Industrial Estate, Swinton, near Mexborough, South Yorkshire, England. Many products were formerly made in its historic home of Mexborough; all products are now imported."
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The one I bought has two simple dials that you turn rather than fancy digital controls. It seems the fancy ones with bells and whistles end up conking out faster.

That's it Annie.
That's the sort I go for.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2017, 10:11 PM

I only had a basic one, but when it died i thought i'd treat myself to a Delonghi Combi. I thought then i wouldn't have to use the main oven, just for small portions for myself. I did try to use it as an oven a couple of times and it didn't seem to work like i expected. So i've only used it exactly the same as the basic one. I think whenever it needs replacing i'll just go back to a simple Argos thing.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 01:37 AM

My 28 litre LG 950watt lasted for donkey's years. My son is using it now since I bought one with a convection oven as well.

LG stuff seems to last OK and it is relatively cheap too from memory it cost about $100 (£50) many years ago.

However you can get an own Brand Big W one for $49 (£25) now.

I have a Sharp model in my camper I think that was on special for $95; it has been bounced over dirt roads but it is still going strong. It was very small about 20 litre and only 750 watts so I would hesitate to recommend it for home use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top