Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 09:46 PM

Glaring errors in books

Reading a book by an author I generally like. All action stories. But a few days ago I noticed an expression I didn't recognise. A character was 'subvocalising' into a mic on their person, to an associate.

I thought, was he whispering? So back to the book today and decided to look the word up. It means 'silent speech' and is what people do when they're reading, to imagine the words.
Quite often the lips don't even move.

So how can anyone deliver silent speech through a mic?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 10:12 PM

Re: Glaring errors in books

Ha ha, you should try reading Kerry Greenwood's "Miss Phryne Fisher" novels. I have never had to look up so many words in any books. Far more than in 'Les Miserable' for example.

I know because my eReader keeps a record of how many words you look up.
welshlion
Vale of Glam,Wales,U.K.
welshlion is male  welshlion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 10:31 PM

If the mic is close to the voice box it can pick up the sound, similar to ventriloquism.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 11:28 PM

You just can't get good proof readers these days! Spelling mistakes etc. everywhere!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 12:10 AM

I'm still ploughing through the book but I almost need a dictionary or a gobbledegook decoder!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

31-12-2013, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by welshlion ->
If the mic is close to the voice box it can pick up the sound, similar to ventriloquism.
Well, I still don't get it!
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 05:15 AM

I never cease to be amazed at the mistakes in novels these days, even expensively published ones by good publishers. They obviously just put them through the spell check and don't bother about out of context errors.

The best one I ever read was:

"He smiled to himself as he slowly entered the French widows." Truly!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->

"He smiled to himself as he slowly entered the French widows." Truly!!
Brilliant !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

31-12-2013, 09:37 AM

*sniggers*

I went back through my book and he'd used that 'subvocalised' quite a few times, defying its dictionary definition.

When I write creative fiction I use good ole plain English, and words that people can understand. If I can't understand anything, how can I expect my (hopeful) readers to?!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 11:17 AM

My daughter in law is a proof reader and she said it is much worse now than 10 years ago...takes her longer with so many mistakes to correct.
Some of her clients are happy but others get quite niggled

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top