Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2014, 11:58 AM

Re: Glaring errors in books

I read a lot, usual thrillers or historical fiction and errors in these books tend to be what I think of as continuity errors.

I was reading a book about the Spanish Civil War a few months back and the main character was a hard-up bloke who at one point borrowed a friend's motorcycle.

4 pages later he's leaving the scene of his quest and he's being followed, so he throws the car into a sharp, left-hand bend!

The times a woman's described as being a redhead, dark-haired beauty or stunning blonde who suddenly changes hair colour and / or hair length completely further on in the same chapter are amazing too!

One of the worst ones I read was when a main character was killed off in one book, complete with funeral and ashes scattered at his favourite surfing beach yet in the next book in the series there he is again!

I gave up reading that series then, plus another one where the main characters retained stupid names given them in a previous book - I mean, how can you relate to a character called Pooh Bear or Wizard!!

Just remembered another one - the main character courts & then weds his childhood love after her husband, his best friend, is killed in a covert "op" but she's killed off in a gun battle with a nasty who he thought was dead.

OK, got that, next book, supposedly a year later, the same character is in a working relationship with a woman and this changes to something else after his new best friend tires of his mate's "self-imposed batchelor status of 15 years" and gets them together.

Eh? stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Eh indeed, Stevmk2! How to shake off your loyal fans, part one.
jennym
bracknell, United Kingdom
jennym is female  jennym has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2014, 03:14 PM

I bought a book several years ago ( admittedly from a discount book shop ) & half way through all the characters names changed, took me ages to work out who was supposed to be who !
Rene61
Alabama, USA
Rene61 is female  Rene61 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Ha ha, you should try reading Kerry Greenwood's "Miss Phryne Fisher" novels. I have never had to look up so many words in any books. Far more than in 'Les Miserable' for example.

I know because my eReader keeps a record of how many words you look up.
I love Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries.
Rene61
Alabama, USA
Rene61 is female  Rene61 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
The funny thing is that he is almost 100% accurate with the written word but quite often mispronounces words. I think it's because he read avidly as a young man but didn't have anyone to discuss books with and didn't hear the correct pronunciation and made up his own. Quite odd sometimes!
I get teased about how I pronounce words a lot. Being hearing impaired, even if someone tells me how a word is pronounced, I may not comprehend it completely. My father is always correcting me, and I always tell him that I can spell but not pronounce it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->

I was a high school English teacher (and also taught typing for a while) so we both have a low tolerance for typos and spelling errors. The funny thing is that he is almost 100% accurate with the written word but quite often mispronounces words. I think it's because he read avidly as a young man but didn't have anyone to discuss books with and didn't hear the correct pronunciation and made up his own. Quite odd sometimes!
In the dim and distant past when i was a GPO Telephones 'apprentice' I was on my annual training course at Bletchley Park when one of the instructors kept talking about a "comm-promise' it it took us ages to realise that it was the word compromise mispronounced. Being only 16 no one had the nerve to tell him.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top