Join for free
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 08:15 AM

More confessions of a retired shopkeeper

Edwin Jones department store had belonged to Debenhams for many years before actually adopting the parent company’s trading name, nearly 50 years ago now.

A cocktail party was held on the evening before the launch & I was handpicked (aged 21) to engage guests in light conversation. Rather similar to the role embraced by officers and the captain of a cruise liner.
Incidentally, many years later this cut no ice with my late mother who when invited to sit at the captain’s table announced that she had no intention of eating with the staff.

Back to the launch, I soon had a small collection of vips wives gathered round me, wanting to know who was who. I obliged where I could & I was left with 2 slightly tiddly gentle ladies.

“Mr.G” said the tall one, “Who’s that man over there?”
Eager to please, I unwisely replied.

“I've no idea who that fat little bald man is, but the tall man is Mr. Fortnum, the financial director” at which the tall one identified as her spouse.
The short lady said, somewhat coolly,
“Ah I can help you with the identity of the fat little bald man; he is my husband, Mr. . . Bowes, personnel director.

I stayed cool & rather like former News of the World investigators of old “Made an excuse & left “Not before the short one had asked me to spell my name, noting it in her diary.
As I mingled again with less illustrious guests I could hear my former companions shrieking with laughter.

Embarrassing? not any more.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 12:37 PM

Re: More confessions of a retired shopkeeper

:Great tale RJ, I love reading about people in sticky situations, I'm been in them meself.
A workmate asked me to go with him to his local parish dance back in the early sixties, as we were sitting there two girls were dancing with each other in front of where we were sitting. The girls usually did this before the lads got the courage to ask them up. I turned to yerman and says "Jaysus look at the size of the huge arse on the fat one!" "Yes I know, that's my sister, she eats like a horse"
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
:Great tale RJ, I love reading about people in sticky situations, I'm been in them meself.
A workmate asked me to go with him to his local parish dance back in the early sixties, as we were sitting there two girls were dancing with each other in front of where we were sitting. The girls usually did this before the lads got the courage to ask them up. I turned to yerman and says "Jaysus look at the size of the huge arse on the fat one!" "Yes I know, that's my sister, she eats like a horse"
OOPS, that's a hard one
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
Edwin Jones department store had belonged to Debenhams for many years before actually adopting the parent company’s trading name, nearly 50 years ago now.

A cocktail party was held on the evening before the launch & I was handpicked (aged 21) to engage guests in light conversation. Rather similar to the role embraced by officers and the captain of a cruise liner.
Incidentally, many years later this cut no ice with my late mother who when invited to sit at the captain’s table announced that she had no intention of eating with the staff.

Back to the launch, I soon had a small collection of vips wives gathered round me, wanting to know who was who. I obliged where I could & I was left with 2 slightly tiddly gentle ladies.

“Mr.G” said the tall one, “Who’s that man over there?”
Eager to please, I unwisely replied.

“I've no idea who that fat little bald man is, but the tall man is Mr. Fortnum, the financial director” at which the tall one identified as her spouse.
The short lady said, somewhat coolly,
“Ah I can help you with the identity of the fat little bald man; he is my husband, Mr. . . Bowes, personnel director.

I stayed cool & rather like former News of the World investigators of old “Made an excuse & left “Not before the short one had asked me to spell my name, noting it in her diary.
As I mingled again with less illustrious guests I could hear my former companions shrieking with laughter.

Embarrassing? not any more.
you always tell a good tale mate - long may it rain on your day!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top