Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 12:32 PM

Re: 1972 BBC TV series "The British Empire"

Sorry if this link has already been posted... I see there's a CONTACT US button

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/bf743429...eced66baa76a36
Steve Stacey
New Member!
London
Steve Stacey is male 

02-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Hi

Yes, that link is just to BBC Genome. (essentially listing of progs in Radio Times) The previous ref to USA was a link where the actual VHS/DVD might be available.

Thanks anyway.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 03:21 PM

Did you look at the site I gave you?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Did you look at the site I gave you?
Click on your link and you'll see!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Click on your link and you'll see!!
It seems to be working OK, Ruthio.
Steve Stacey
New Member!
London
Steve Stacey is male 

02-06-2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
It seems to be working OK, Ruthio.
Hi

Are you referring to my posted query on that site?

No bites yet, but thanks anyway.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

02-06-2018, 10:20 PM

Saw your thread on there, good luck!
Steve Stacey
New Member!
London
Steve Stacey is male 

04-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Hi

No bites yet. V pessimistic, as seems that folk not old enough or series passed them by. Frustrating as links to older, more obscure films are being provided. Also used my VPN (paid version) to pretend I was based in US. Still no joy.
Cainsy
New Member!
Perth, Western Australia
Cainsy is male 

07-06-2018, 04:44 PM

Hello, I've been searching for this series for years. The leading Google search item was the one from Hansard where a member of the House of Lords was complaining about the series. Last year I saw the series referenced in an online Guardian article and on the BBC Genome pages. I watched all of the programmes and bought the accompanying BBC/Time Life magazine. I lost most of the copies over the year, I was a kid, but I was struck by the beautiful artwork on their covers and their well written articles which didn't flinch from the darker side of the Empire. I did get hold of a complete bound set unfortunately without their covers and I'm re-reading them now. I'm at the point of the Opium War and if you have a rosy view of the past it's probably not the reading material for you. Basically the British were a bunch of drug dealers in terms of China. Anyway I'm going to ask the BBC History Magazine if they know any thing about the programme.
Ray le her
New Member!
United Kingdom
Ray le her is male 

29-10-2018, 02:10 PM

Hi, I too have been looking for the series from 1972. Some years ago I spoke to someone who was doing some work for the BBC with no luck. I have just found this site during another search, hoping that as the net grows more information will be forthcoming.
I saw the series in 72 but as you know there wasn't the facility to record programs back then.
My search is nothing to do with the presentation of the history but an entirely selfish one.
I was stationed on Gibraltar with my band and we were filmed by the crew doing the empire series and I would have liked to have a copy of our part in it.
We mixed with the crew and my recollection is that it was captured on Film so unless it has been deliberately destroyed must be somewhere in the BBC or Time Life archives.
Hope this helps

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top