Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 10:46 AM

Sleep paralysis

Hi everyone

When I was away with my friends last weekend one of them told us about something she doesn't tell many people because she fears some may think her mad.
She told us she suffers something called sleep paralysis which she says is terrifying and feels like someone or something is holding her down when she sleeps. She describes it as what looks like a demon as she sees it but is unable to move or do anything about it. It really did sound very frightening.

I have been reading about it and it is quite common by all accounts and it seems it happens during stressful times in life.

Have you ever suffered it, do you know someone who does and have you heard of it. I hadn't until she told me about it. She said she fears going to sleep because if it but it hasn't happened for a while now thankfully.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 11:00 AM

Re: Sleep paralysis

I have experienced it only once,i am glad she hasn't had it for a while,and i can relate to the stress situation. poor woman.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Something I've suffered with all my life

Worse thing is you really do believe you are awake and your eyes are open and it's really happening

I always think if I can scream I will wake up and it will stop,mbut of course I can't scream because I'm asleep

Then sometimes you do wake for a split second, but then go straight back into it

I'm also a walker and talker at night

I don't handle stress very well at all
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Hi everyone

When I was away with my friends last weekend one of them told us about something she doesn't tell many people because she fears some may think her mad.
She told us she suffers something called sleep paralysis which she says is terrifying and feels like someone or something is holding her down when she sleeps. She describes it as what looks like a demon as she sees it but is unable to move or do anything about it. It really did sound very frightening.

I have been reading about it and it is quite common by all accounts and it seems it happens during stressful times in life.

Have you ever suffered it, do you know someone who does and have you heard of it. I hadn't until she told me about it. She said she fears going to sleep because if it but it hasn't happened for a while now thankfully.
I believe one of our daughters suffers from it occasionally.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 11:37 AM

LQ

I used to suffer with it all the time when I was younger but only get it occasionally now. when we sleep, the brain paralizes our body to stop us moving around. Sometimes the system goes a bit wrong resulting in either sleep walking or waking up before we can move. i used to wake myself up by jolting my body.

These days I tend to get the opposite where I feel I am being sucked into sleeping before I am ready. Difficult to explain. I don't get the night terrors or demons thankfully.

Believe it or not, these conditions are very common.

There is a website I used to visit which has lots of examples. i will try to find it and send you a link and you can pass it on to your friend if you so wish.

Also, a thread from the past about it;

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=35175
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 11:45 AM

Yes,I suffered from this many many times in the past when I was experiencing a great deal of stress...very frightening,and I hope never to get it again.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 12:00 PM

Yes here too, often when I was a child and now only if I'm stressed to the hilt. It's horrible and I come out of it feeling very sick and dizzy, not to mention shaking like a jelly..
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 12:42 PM

I've experienced that once - a feeling of extreme tiredness but unable to sleep and when I tried to turn over, lift my legs or my head, had a feeling of being pinned to the bed. A bit like Lemuel Gulliver being held down with ropes by the Lilliputians. It seemed to go on for a long time before I eventually managed to wake myself up and get out of bed.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I've experienced that once - a feeling of extreme tiredness but unable to sleep and when I tried to turn over, lift my legs or my head, had a feeling of being pinned to the bed. A bit like Lemuel Gulliver being held down with ropes by the Lilliputians. It seemed to go on for a long time before I eventually managed to wake myself up and get out of bed.
Exactly, but I bet it's only for a moment though, but it feels like forever..
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 01:51 PM

Thing is if we didn't have it every time we slept badly or had a nightmare we would be running about like headless chickens......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top