Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 09:17 PM

Ticks......

Bloody nasty things! who invented them anyway?......

Anyways, I wonder if these nasties give animals more discomfort than we think?

Was stroking Frankie tonight and noticed a lump near his throat. Turned out to be a huge engorged tick. Removed it with the good old tick twister.

He then hooned into the garden like a lunatic, rolled around and proceeded to give himself a 20 min groomathon!

Like he knew it was gone and was pleased?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 09:20 PM

Re: Ticks......

A cigarette end lighted and put on the ticks back make it let go as well

Never try and pull directly it off as it will break and leave the ticks head embeded under the skin, which will cause problems.

don't know about any tick twister so can't comment
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I've read that, but apparently it can make the tick inject irritating saliva into the wound and cause an infection / extreme irritation.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 09:24 PM

Never had that problem fender and we removed loads from clients dogs while boarding with us at our kennels.

What we actually used was a steel knitting needle and heated up the rounded end as none of us smoked
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

20-06-2018, 09:27 PM

I use these, work brilliantly....

https://www.tesco.com/direct/otom-ti...?source=others
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

20-06-2018, 09:33 PM

Not having seen one but judging by the picture I would worry that it only fits between the ticks back and head. if that is so here is a risk of removing the back only leaving the head
embeded

The link only gives 3 reports. 2x5* and 1X4*

I would have like to see a few more than that first. But as I say I don't know the product
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Bloody nasty things! who invented them anyway?......

Anyways, I wonder if these nasties give animals more discomfort than we think?

Was stroking Frankie tonight and noticed a lump near his throat. Turned out to be a huge engorged tick. Removed it with the good old tick twister.

He then hooned into the garden like a lunatic, rolled around and proceeded to give himself a 20 min groomathon!

Like he knew it was gone and was pleased?
Well done Fender. You get a gold star...... and a tick of course.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

20-06-2018, 10:05 PM

Not having seen one but judging by the picture I would worry that it only fits between the ticks back and head. if that is so here is a risk of removing the back only leaving the head
embeded

The link only gives 3 reports. 2x5* and 1X4*

I would have like to see a few more than that first. But as I say I don't know the product
They deffo don't leave the head - used it many times.
You twist it which makes the tick twist and let go. You don't pull or lever it.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 10:31 PM

Always taken them off my ferrets and myself with tweezers but the twister looks easier.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 10:36 PM

Never try and pull directly it off as it will break and leave the ticks head embeded under the skin, which will cause problems.

don't know about any tick twister so can't comment

I'm afraid I disagree with you realspeed. I would never, ever, use that old fashioned idea of burning them off, nor covering them with nail polish remover, or vaseline either and other such methods.
Small ticks, before they have bloated themselves are much too small and close to the skin to risk putting a lit cigarette to. You stand a very real risk of either burning the dog's skin, or even worse, setting fire to the dog's hair!

I completely agree with Fender and in my opinion, he did the right thing by using a proper tick remover, bought from any vet and most pet shops.

I also agree with him about the tick injecting bacteria into the dogs blood streamm if you shock or squeeze them with tweezers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top