Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Re: Heritage

My paternal grandparents were Irish, my dad was born in Wales, my mums family is English and I have now ended up with the surname of a small town in Scotland.....covered all the bases, I think.

No idea about further back than that though.
Deannie
Warren USA
Deannie is female  Deannie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Think I've posted this before but - oh well, here goes: -

My ancestry is Huguenot French on my mother's side and Danish, (possibly Viking), on my father's side.

My family name is probably the most common name in Scandinavia - their Smith or Jones!

I actually researched my Dad's family years ago and found the Viking connection in a Parish Registry in Norfolk and my Mum's family were indeed documented descendants from Protestants who fled France in the 18th Century - colloquial French was often spoken in the family in private.

I had this on record but can no longer prove it unfortunately. stevmk2
Thank you for sharing it again with me. Deannie
Deannie
Warren USA
Deannie is female  Deannie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
My paternal grandparents were Irish, my dad was born in Wales, my mums family is English and I have now ended up with the surname of a small town in Scotland.....covered all the bases, I think.

No idea about further back than that though.
Thank you for sharing this with me. Deannie
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 08:57 AM

My family name is quite common in the Scottish borders and in the past were well known as border reivers. They had a good survival plan - in any conflict, they waited to see who was winning and then throwing their lot in with them. Probably the origin of the clan motto "Late but in Earnest".

Generally it's thought that the founders of the clan came from Normandy.
Deannie
Warren USA

13-10-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
My family name is quite common in the Scottish borders and in the past were well known as border reivers. They had a good survival plan - in any conflict, they waited to see who was winning and then throwing their lot in with them. Probably the origin of the clan motto "Late but in Earnest".

Generally it's thought that the founders of the clan came from Normandy.
Thank you for sharing your story. Deannie
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 12:21 PM

As Tony Hancock once said: Anglo-Saxon with just a dash of Viking.
Deannie
Warren USA

13-10-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As Tony Hancock once said: Anglo-Saxon with just a dash of Viking.
Wonderful thank you for sharing. Deannie
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 05:42 AM

Like Grumblewagon my heritage is descended from the Border Reivers, also known as Mosstroopers, or Steel Bonnets, must add i live on the English side of the border, but my clan did exist both sides of the border. My surname is one of the Riding surnames, and is said to derive from Anglo Saxon origins and mentioned in a play as "a wight good riding surname, good honest men and true, saving a little shifting for their living."

A sort of no mans land existed around the borders known as the debatable land, and many raids either side of the borders were made across this area.

I have some Irish ancestry in my make up, but due to fire destroying records in Ireland im not sure of the extent, also in my area there is strong links to the Vikings, and the Romans are well represented in my county.

Northumberland is the most fortified county in Britain, testimony too its warlike past, it was a descendant of the borderers with a riding surname that first walked on the moon, Neil Armstrong, the following year he visited Langholm, home of his ancestors.
Deannie
Warren USA

14-10-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Like Grumblewagon my heritage is descended from the Border Reivers, also known as Mosstroopers, or Steel Bonnets, must add i live on the English side of the border, but my clan did exist both sides of the border. My surname is one of the Riding surnames, and is said to derive from Anglo Saxon origins and mentioned in a play as "a wight good riding surname, good honest men and true, saving a little shifting for their living."

A sort of no mans land existed around the borders known as the debatable land, and many raids either side of the borders were made across this area.

I have some Irish ancestry in my make up, but due to fire destroying records in Ireland im not sure of the extent, also in my area there is strong links to the Vikings, and the Romans are well represented in my county.

Northumberland is the most fortified county in Britain, testimony too its warlike past, it was a descendant of the borderers with a riding surname that first walked on the moon, Neil Armstrong, the following year he visited Langholm, home of his ancestors.
Thank you for sharing with us. Deannie
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 08:09 PM

Yorkshire born and Yorkshire bred,
Strong int arm and weak int head.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top