Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 05:05 PM

Re: Retirement.

work provides a social and relationship function as well as esteem for work well done and appreciated so retiring often means losing all of those things and can become isolating and depressing. In retirement we need to 'get involved again' but in a different way otherwise we just sit at home and vegetate. One of my daily pleasures is shopping as I meet a range of people and have a good natter; tell funny stories and help others sometimes.

It is important to get involved but for the reasons stated above I still miss work!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 05:45 PM

Retirement was the worst thing, l have ever done. I hate it!
I would rather be in the hustle and bustle of the workplace not in this ‘slow your brain down’ environment called retirement.

In other words... God’s Waiting Room!!
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 06:06 PM

I know for some retirement can be a negative thing.

Those that were in a more vocational occupation, those that enjoyed the social side or maybe those that flourished with the routine of it all.

All I can say is none of the above apply to me

I think if it bothered me as much as it does some people I would either go back part time or do voluntary work. But it doesn't bother me. I've done my bit for being a wage slave, had enough of being taken for granted, this is my time!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I know for some retirement can be a negative thing.

Those that were in a more vocational occupation, those that enjoyed the social side or maybe those that flourished with the routine of it all.

All I can say is none of the above apply to me

I think if it bothered me as much as it does some people I would either go back part time or do voluntary work. But it doesn't bother me. I've done my bit for being a wage slave, had enough of being taken for granted, this is my time!
Nicol, The negative side of it is.... if you go for a job, once the employer sees your age on paper but not you in real life, they probably assume you are a doddery old person on your last legs!

I did apply to do voluntary work but l found the application process too intrusive. Yes, l know they have to be thorough but l felt l was perceived as a criminal before l passed every hurdle. I wouldn’t mind but it was only to push a tea trolly or accompany MS patients on social outings.

I do not want to work in a charity shop as l would be sneezing all day with all the Potpourrie they all seem to smell of, or the dust off the donated clothes!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 06:55 PM

Being retired has exceeded all expectations, after a lifetime of looking after people my time is now my own .

I worried I may not be able to manage financially, it is harder for single people with only one income but I live very simply and have coped just fine.

My son replaced my ageing car and paid for a repair to the roof which helped considerably.

Every day I think how lucky I am answerable to nobody .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

07-06-2018, 08:04 PM

I feel in retirement, your brain slows down to accommodate your slower lifestyle.

When l worked and was busy bringing up five children, l never knew the meaning of stress. We had stress related courses at work and l used to think, ‘Why am l here? I don’t have time for stress, l am always so busy’!

Now l am retired, l have too much time to think about ‘me’ and tend to worry about trivia!
No wonder, people get the POM syndrome!
(Poor Old Me!)
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 09:18 PM

Love retirement now!

I struggled at the beginning with feeling lost, a bit useless and with no purpose. So I went into volunteering and loved it.

Traffic jams took away the pleasure. It was the 'workaday commute' all over again ... talk about stress levels rising. So I gave it up.

I do miss it and toy with the idea of starting again, but can't get past the commute. If I could 'will' myself there, then I'd be back!

I'm never bored, always find something to do. On occasions, I think stuff it - then it's no make up, scruffy clothes and I eat what I want - even if its foods I'm sensitive too.

It's a wonderful feeling - 'Finally, ME time! Freedom!!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top