Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 06:32 PM

Re: What has disconcerted you most?

All equally traumatic but the one that affected me most was the death of JFK I remember when he was assassinated and girls in my class were crying, I was confused by it … I was young and not that interested in world events I started to take more notice after that.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 06:36 PM

I think we might look back on Brexit as a very bad move on the part of the UK.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 06:42 PM

I remember most of the things mentioned in this thread, apart from the Cuban missile crisis, but I was either too young or too empty headed to be affected much.

The one that bothered me was the Hungerford massacre as it was a bit close to home.

And I did see 9/11 on the telly as it was happening.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 06:44 PM

Oh gosh yes Nicol that was terrible. Actually its difficult to pick just one event there are so many... unfortunately
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 06:51 PM

The Lockerbie disaster was heartbreaking too I remember
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:02 PM

I don't remember Aberfan or the Cuban Missile Crisis.

For me it has to be 9/11. When I watched it unfold on TV, the World as I knew it changed forever.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=Longdogs;1439256]I don't remember Aberfan or the Cuban Missile Crisis.

For me it has to be 9/11. When I watched it unfold on TV, the World as I knew it changed forever.[/QUOTE]

same here LD
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:34 PM

It's one of those "I remember where I was when I first heard about/saw it moments"
I was teaching part-time at that time as the children were much younger
I'd stopped off at my parents after the school run and they told me about a plane which had not long crashed in to the world trade centre

I remember watching in horror as the live and videoed footage were played and replayed..
And then...live on air..the sound of the second plane could be heard like a drone...and then it struck the South tower

We fell silent
Cold gripped at my insides at that instant realisation of what was happening
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
It's one of those "I remember where I was when I first heard about/saw it moments"
I was teaching part-time at that time as the children were much younger
I'd stopped off at my parents after the school run and they told me about a plane which had not long crashed in to the world trade centre

I remember watching in horror as the live and videoed footage were played and replayed..
And then...live on air..the sound of the second plane could be heard like a drone...and then it struck the South tower

We fell silent
Cold gripped at my insides at that instant realisation of what was happening
i remember sitting by my pond that evening and thinking how blissfully ignorant my goldfish were.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:39 PM

I remember teaching the kids at school the next day
The sense of fear was palpable

I was constantly having to reassure them and set their minds at ease.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top