Barcud
South Wales, UK
Barcud is female 

11-02-2016, 10:20 PM

Re: Hands off our Apple Pies !

We have always called it Apple Tart so I don't mind the Americans having pie
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 07:11 AM

The Dutch call it Apple tart and you cant have a birthday without one.
Its a tradition written in stone...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 09:58 AM

Tell Mr Kipling he will sue.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I know how you feel, straight after watching that programme I watched the Hairy Bikers make a traditional ENGLISH apple pie with Bramley apples, When it was taken out of the oven, the pie was so deep, so full of sliced apples with the most gorgeous golden sweet pastry they had to use a giant spatula to cut and pick the first slice out, they then placed it into a dish and proceeded to pour single cream slowly over it. I was eating a digestive biscuit with my cuppa at the time and felt right cheated !!
SG, The only time I ever saw the Hairy Bikers was when they were making this rich, luxury apple pie.
The pastry looked lovely and I kept saying I would try making it sometime.
Like Barcud, I usually refer to Apple pie as Apple tart !
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Without any intention of insulting our American friends on here,

HANDS OFF OUR APPLE PIE !!!!

I was watching an American cookery programme this afternoon when one of the ladies on there actually had the temerity to say “Think of Apple Pie and one automatically thinks of America, if we didn’t have our national symbol already, then Apple Pie would be the top contender !

BLOOMIN CHEEK !

Just for the record, Apple Pie originated here in England. It was first mentioned by Chaucer in 1381. Dutch Pies were invented in England in the 1600’s.

I know the famous sayings ….”.As American as Apple Pie” and when the US troops were asked why they had joined up to fight in World War II the reply was always “For Mom and Apple Pie”.

But it’s not American, You can’t have it because it’s our invention !!

Just for the record, Bramley Apples belong to us too. The first Bramley’s were grown by Mrs Brailsford in Nottingham in 1809.

So there !
Feel better now I’ve got that off my chest ! Get fed up when other countries claim our glory.

Don't you?
Hey, Get your Hands off OUR APPLE PIES,And our Cherry PIE'S,And Granny Smith's apple's make the best APPLE PIES EVER.Now no PIE for YOU after Dinner,straight to your room after you've done the dish's.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Barcud ->
We have always called it Apple Tart so I don't mind the Americans having pie
But tart is different from pie, it has an open top, doesn't it?
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 12:40 PM

http://travelmamas.com/where-was-apple-pie-invented/

England 1381

Didn't the Romans have them?

<<Small sweet cakes eaten by the ancient Egyptians may well have included types using pastry. With their fine flour, oils, and honey they had the materials, and with their professional bakers they had the skills. In the plays of Aristophenes (5th century BC) there are mentions of sweetmeats including small pastries filled with fruit.>>

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodpies.html
Barcud
South Wales, UK
Barcud is female 

12-02-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
But tart is different from pie, it has an open top, doesn't it?
I'm not sure Lila, we always think of pies as savoury, maybe it's a regional thing? I do remember learning this poem by Robert Louis Stevenson when I was in school though

The friendly cow all red and white,
I love with all my heart:
She gives me cream with all her might,
To eat with apple-tart.
Lila
London UK

12-02-2016, 12:49 PM

I think that had an open top, possibly with a pattern over it.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
SG, The only time I ever saw the Hairy Bikers was when they were making this rich, luxury apple pie.
The pastry looked lovely and I kept saying I would try making it sometime.
Like Barcud, I usually refer to Apple pie as Apple tart !
TUT! TUT! Art and Barcud, A Tart is a loose woman or a pastry filled with fruit and then topped with a lattice or other designed open topped pastry.

a Pie (not to be confused with Pye) is a pastry filled with fruit or anything else with a top pastry lid slapped over it, brushed with milk or beaten egg, sprinkled with caster sugar and two slits or fork pricks made to allow steam to escape.
Oh almost forgot, before brushing you have people like me standing there humming away biting my tongue as I attempt to make pretty leaves or apple shapes with the leftover pastry to decorate the pie top.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top