Join for free
Page 12 of 72 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 12:49 PM

Re: Over 50s Club Yorkshire

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
Do you think that the Blade signifies the whole of East Yorkshire because of all the wind farms it has?
I think it might be because it was made near Hull Sue.
I was watching 'Countryfile' last year and apparently there is a large German company manufacturing Wind Turbines somewhere near Hull. They did say that whichever way the referendum went they would still continue to invest in the site and manufacture there.
Not all Germans think like Angela Merkel or are controlled by the EU!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
We're regulars at Secret Garden in Brid Bob, afternoon special, coffee and cream cake! Not seen the blade yet, we have a weekend booked for Hull in May hoping there will be City of Culture events taking place then.
We usually take lunch in Boyes when we visit Bridlington Val, we didn't know there was a 'Secret Garden' where might that be then?

We have found a brilliant Garden Centre on the outskirts of Brid Val, it's called the Eastfield Garden Centre and they do some delicious food...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 01:22 PM

I haven't been to Bridlington, or Filey for that matter, since I was a young child.

We go to Scarborough and Whitby quite regularly, but I'd like to visit those other two places again before long.

Any recommendations of what to do or see in Bridlington and Filey? The Secret Garden sounds intriguing.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 02:04 PM

Here's something for the non-Yorkshire amongst you (poor souls ) who are looking in.

There isn't just one Yorkshire accent as depicted on many TV shows/soaps - here's some of the differences.

http://www.yorkshiredialectsociety.org.uk/
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Here's something for the non-Yorkshire amongst you (poor souls ) who are looking in.

There isn't just one Yorkshire accent as depicted on many TV shows/soaps - here's some of the differences.

eee lad that'll show em
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
We usually take lunch in Boyes when we visit Bridlington Val, we didn't know there was a 'Secret Garden' where might that be then?

We have found a brilliant Garden Centre on the outskirts of Brid Val, it's called the Eastfield Garden Centre and they do some delicious food...
Secret Garden is opposite Boyes loading Bay, Bob, above Cooplands shop. Another of our favourites is Eastfield, we go at least a couple of times a week to the Autumn Bliss at the front of the garden centre. Will surely bump into you one of these days!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I haven't been to Bridlington, or Filey for that matter, since I was a young child.

We go to Scarborough and Whitby quite regularly, but I'd like to visit those other two places again before long.

Any recommendations of what to do or see in Bridlington and Filey? The Secret Garden sounds intriguing.

Depends what you like to do JBR. The harbour is of great interest to lots of folk, and the walk along the cliffs to Sewerby Park is lovely. Or if it's too far to walk there's the land train goes along the cliff top. Decent shops is one thing we lack but perhaps that wouldn't bother you. Secret Garden is a nice good value cafe in town or the cafe at the new leisure centre allows you to look out to sea whilst enjoying your cuppa!

I don't know so much about Filey, it's still fairly quiet and it's lovely to walk along the seafront. Nice gardens too.
Val J
East Yorkshire

05-02-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Yes, despite living on the Yorkshire coast for 40 years folk can still detect my Leeds accent!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 04:17 PM

The harbour is of great interest to lots of folk, and the walk along the cliffs to Sewerby Park is lovely.

I've done that walk and it certainly is lovely. Stayed in Brid 2 years ago for a 5 day dancing festival at the Spa and found a great B&B just round the corner ... the husband drives the land train

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03082.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	2631  
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 04:58 PM

[QUOTE=OldGreyFox;1088091]I think it might be because it was made near Hull Sue.
Yes, they are made at Saltend, within the Hull boundary. Anyone catching the P&O Ferry across to Rotterdam can't fail to spot the site. H u g e structures. I am certain that the ugly blade is on display to appease Siemens, the manufacturer. Plenty of jobs a-going there. Actually there was some footage on the local BBC news of the blade being transported to its new site overnight. Amazing. There were plenty of corners to manoeuvre and they nearly took the head off King Billy (a gilded equestrian statue in the Market Place). They missed him, sadly.

Page 12 of 72 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top