Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 07:02 AM

Would you wear fur ?

It's would seem that we are already wearing fur as plenty of what is called faux fur is really real fur .
Especially products that are made in China and other countries.

However is faux fur really environmentally friendly?
Every time you wash it tiny micro fibres get washed into the environment and end up in the food chain.

The main arguement against real fur is the welfare of animals .
Goodness knows what horrible conditions they are kept in some countries .

But the biggest fur exporter is Denmark which exports mink fur all over the world .

It's this any worse than keeping pigs ?
Pigs are far more intelligent and aware than minks yet we keep them often in horrible conditions and then kill and eat them .

Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 07:24 AM

Re: Would you wear fur ?

Personally, no.

The conditions are horrible in Denmark but I can imagine they are far worse in China.

The sooner this trade is shut down the better.

As for faux fur........It's better than the natural fur trade but as you say, there are issues that need addressing but that's true of everything tht is produced using plastics and other man-made non-biodegradable materials.

With regard to the plastics and non biodegradables, I think that is a much bigger and more urgent issue thaan fur farming and ending the waste derived from that should be where all our efforts are concentrated for now.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 08:04 AM

No - I would not wear fur - real or otherwise.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 08:32 AM

Yes, have a (real) fur shapka!!!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 08:49 AM

Not now I wouldn't - but hand's up all who used to have a Coney fur jacket in the 70's/80's

I did and I used to love it. I wonder if they still make them?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 08:53 AM

That's rabbit isn't it ?
Rabbits are killed for food why not use their fur ?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 09:03 AM

I'm a vegetarian/pescatarian
So if I had a choice I wouldn't allow any animal to be "bred for human purpose" but i know I can't change the world. As long as they are kept humanely I can accept thst it's going to happen in a world developed for humankind.

In fact I even go so far as to wear and use the bi-products.
I sleep under a feather duvet and on feather pillows
I wear leather shoes
I have sat on furniture with sheepskin throws
So I suppose wearing fur from animals we eat would just be the same, wouldnt it?

(I don't by the way!)
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
That's rabbit isn't it ?
Rabbits are killed for food why not use their fur ?
Yes it's rabbit. The only kind of real fur the average working woman/housewife could afford.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 09:22 AM

No , it's totally unethical and out of vogue anyway. They look horrid.
Unfortunately I have a mink coat my mother in law left to me. Haven't a clue what to do with it. No one will take it, not even animal shelters for kittens or puppies.
I'm not taking it to a charity shop so someone else can get their hands on it, and maybe sell it abroad. So at a loss what to do. 80 minks will have gone into making it.

Poland Fur Farms are some of the worst and export to UK. Mink and fox. Horrendous way they kill the foxes the footage is gruesome. They also breed 'monster foxes' in Finland, for more fur rolls of it ! China is bad in every way but until we get our own house in order, we really can't shout about them and expect to be taken seriously.

Fake fur looks crummy IMO. Why try to emulate something we feel as wrong anyway ?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 09:28 AM

I wouldn't wear fur as I don't like the look or feel of it.

I have no problem with it in principle as long as it isn't taken from an endangered species. We wear leather, we wear woollen clothes, so why not fur?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top